Please sign in to post.

Paris apartment rentals

We are planning on spending a month in Paris this fall and want to rent an apartment. We are looking to stay in a relatively safe neighborhood with good public transportation, shopping, restaurants, and entertainment. We are older women who live in NYC and are used to city life. We have travelled in Europe, but this will be our first trip to Paris. Thanks.

Posted by
10249 posts

I use vrbo.com and homeaway.com for apartment rentals, both in the U.S. and Europe. I have rented 2 apartments in Paris, one I loved and one that I didn't love. The one I loved is on the 4th floor (U.S.) with no elevator, so I don't know how that would work for you. If you would like more information you can PM me. I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking what areas to be looking in? When month do you plan to travel and what is your budget? You will often get a discount for a long-term rental. I recommend you try to line something up ASAP for a rental of that length. Have you considered staying in two apartments for two weeks each? You could explore two different neighborhoods that way.

Posted by
11507 posts

Jay, look at Parisbestlodge,I have rented from this summer and wil report back here, but I go their name from the tripadvisor.com paris forums where I have read dozens and dozens of positive posts on them. I also told a friend about them, and she just returned from her trip and loved her apartment.. I am renting the Esmeralda,, it has a/c which for our july visit is important, but if you going in later in September ou may not need a/c. I also have a great view of Notre Dame. And I did not have to pay some all the rent all up front like some places, Thierry the owner let me send a damage deposit in my own currency ( can $) POSTDATED for date of my stay,, and my rate is reasonable. There are several very well recommended agencies to rent apartments from in Paris, and a few that are not so great.. google for reviews always.. VIP is said to be good, and many like VRBO,, but with them read the reviews and apartment descriptions carefully( if they do not mention an elevator do not assume there is one! ) Paris is a wonder and safe city for women to explore.

Posted by
132 posts

In April, we rented through www.cobblestoneparis.com and had a very good experience. They have several properties, but we stayed in a delightful studio on Ile St. Louis.

Posted by
335 posts

I like Andrea's idea of staying in 2 apartments in different areas of town. As I said above, I've stayed in many Arr. and they each have their own upsides/downsides. In the lower numbered ones, you are closer to the main areas of town but they can also be busy and noisy. In the higher numbered ones, they are less toursity it's more like you're living in Paris plus the Metro can take you anywhere! As you can tell, I love Paris. Have a wonderful adventure!

Posted by
335 posts

I've used Vacation in Paris multiple times and always been happy with my apartments (I'm 67 and usually travel with 1 or 2 friends). Their locations are all over Paris and in all price ranges (I've stayed in the 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th Arr.) The places are just as pictured and described online, office personnel are very helpful and friendly, etc. But they may be all booked for Fall. This Fall I'm renting thru VRBO only b/c ViP doesn't do longer-term rentals. I'm really looking forward to seeing the apartment and neighborhood (in the 13th).

Posted by
2189 posts

We just returned from our first trip to Paris (couple, age 65-ish), two weeks. We rented two apartments through VRBO and stayed one week in each: one in the 4th, one in the 13th. We liked them both. You're apt to get a little more for your money the farther out you go.

Posted by
40 posts

Add another vote for vacations in Paris. I rented a 1 bedroom on the Ruc du Bac in the 7th (edge of the 6th) in 2010 and had a lovely experience. I am renting from them again this September but decided to switch it up a bit and rent a 1 bedroom (with balcony!) in the lower area of the 5th. Do book soon though if using them, the cheap spots and the best locations get snapped up fast!

Posted by
262 posts

Look at myparisvisit.com. I used them 2 years ago and will use them again for 2 weeks this September. They have apartments pretty much all over Paris and prices are reasonable too. Highly recommend. Happy Travels!

Posted by
3 posts

We used vrbo.com and found a wonderful apartment in the Marais. A wonderful part of town. From the Marais you can walk to the Louvre and Notre Dame. The metro has stops everywhere to take you where you want to go. vrbo.com has listings from many individual flat owners, so your results will vary depending on who you rent from. But they do sell insurance just in case. Pick a listing, call the owner/agent on the phone, check out pictures and reviews and have a wonderful time in Paris.

Posted by
4161 posts

We've used vrbo and homeaway. Each works slightly differently in how to search for places and in the way the information is displayed. There are so many options in Paris that the ability to limit your search by number of bedrooms or bathrooms, location, price, lift, and more is very helpful in choosing something. I would not use the dates of your stay option because the booking of these places changes so quickly sometimes and because some owners don't keep up with that very well. An option that's a good one is the ability to select places and compare them. So my advice for whatever service you use is that it have most of these kinds of ways to aid in your search. We are now in Reims after a week in an apt in the Marais, 3rd arr. We were on the 1st European floor within easy walking and Metro distance. Last time we were in Paris we stayed in the Rue Cler, 7th arr and I stayed near the Arc, 8th arr in a previous life. Of the 3, I prefer the 3rd, but next time we will try a different area. With a month in Paris, I would definitely spend 2 weeks in one arr and 2 in another.

Posted by
54 posts

I would definitely recommend Paris Perfect. They have some wonderful apartments throughout Paris. My family and I stayed there 3 years ago in one of their apartments in the 7th and we absolutely LOVED it. They are very helpful as well. The 7th is quieter - but it has one of my favorite markets on the Rue Cler. They have apartments in other areas. They also will let you know via the website which metro you are closest to. Enjoy!! Love Love Paris!

Posted by
19 posts

This is a helpful topic for me as well. We are two couples planning to stay near gare st laZare so we will be able to easily catch early trains to Normandy DDay sights/tour and maybe other excursions. Any tips for location? Have just started looking at flats. Not going until April 2013. How soon should we book.?

Posted by
10249 posts

@Myrna - If you find a place in the location you want and you are firm with your dates I would book when you find the right place. I use vrbo.com and homeaway.com to find rentals in Europe and the U.S..

Posted by
256 posts

We also used Vacations in Paris (2010) and got a great flat in the Marais, which was very centrally located, easy walk to the Seine and cafes/shops/restaurants.

Posted by
154 posts

I found Victoria Homes Paris on here years ago and I've stayed with her rental agency ever since. Fantastic service! Great locations! Nice flats. =)