Please sign in to post.

Paris Airport Transportation

I'm flying into CDG and need transportation to Rue Cler, district 7, near Eiffel Tower.

I think the Air France Shuttle goes from CDG to Montparnasse, and from there I can take a taxi.

I found a website that suggest reservations are required for the Air France Shuttle: http://www.shuttle-paris.com/air-france-bus.htm

Elsewhere, I read it was pay as you board. Does anyone have recent experience with this?

Also, which is better: Air France Shuttle or RER bus?

Any recommendations to get transportation (other than taxi) from/to the airports? (leaving Paris via Orly)

Thanks

Posted by
32219 posts

MaryAnn,

One of the easiest methods to get into Paris from CDG is the RER "B" (which is a train). The RER will take you from the airport to one of the major stations in Paris (Gare du Nord, Chatelet, etc.) and from there you can transfer to Metro for the trip to the Rue Cler (the best Metro stop for that area is Ecole Militaire).

You could take the Air France or Roissy Bus into Paris, which will get you to central Paris but as you mentioned you'd have to take a Taxi or Metro from that point to Rue Cler.

I used the RER / Metro method when I was last there in May, and it worked well. I found it to be an easy trip, even with luggage (Backpack, Daypack and Camera Bag). If you need further information on the Metro route to use, post another note.

One point to mention though is that the automated ticket machines for RER tickets ONLY accept the newer "chip & PIN" credit cards or Euro coins. There's also a ticket office, but this can be VERY busy at times with long queues. For all the details, have a look at This website.

Happy travels!

Posted by
23301 posts

Ken
This is a double posting. She has a number of similar responses under transportation.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks, Ken. Great advice, unlike some other (im)poster who needs a life.

You mentioned you carry a camera bag. I've done that before (Zurich, Berlin, Prague), and at the Zurich train station someone (much bigger than me) tried to snatch it off my shoulder.

Now I carry my Nikon DSLR in a belted camera pack. The one essential equipment I need for night shots is my Benro tripod. They have a variety of lightweight tripods: Travel Angels.
http://www.benro.com/main/

Thanks again.

Posted by
11 posts

My husband and I were in Paris a few weeks ago arriving at Charles de Gaulle Airport and we followed Rick's advice by taking the Roissy-Bus which runs every 15-20 minutes. Look for the Roissy Bus sign and wait. You can pay the driver, it was aound 9 Euros to take the express type bus to the Opera House. Then from the Opera House Metro station we bought a carnet(ten tickets), from the information person at the window and used two of them to board the Metro line #8 (direction Balard) and we got off at Ecole Militaire which was just a short block from our hotel in Rue Cler. This option would not work well if you have an extra large suitcase or multiple bags. We had just two small rolling bags and we each carried a small back pack.