Please sign in to post.

Paris accommodations

First time traveler to Paris looking for a small hotel or B&B for two women traveling alone. I've looked at so many websites and books, I'm overwhelmed by the number of choices. I have no idea which areas are safe, and which are seedy/super touristy. We're trying to keep it under 100 Euros/night including taxes and hopefully breakfast, prefer ensuite if possible, need to be a few blocks from a Metro station because I have a physical limitation, and would rather not exhaust myself just getting to transportation or attractions. We're also not crazy about being so close to train stations that late night noise is an issue. We'd love something in the Latin quarter, but are flexible. I'd be grateful for any and all recommendations!

Posted by
842 posts

Hotel Diana;

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d567154-Reviews-Hotel_Diana-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

We were going to stay here if we could not find a cheap apt for our 5 days. We found an awesomne apt (studio apt, $93 US/ nite, bottom of the 7th Ar., ground floor), but the Boss wanted to upgrade to an apt with a view of the Eiffel tower, so we got a one bedroom with the view for $125 US/nite. (and we have to climb 4 flights of stairs!)

Posted by
2 posts

A girlfriend and I just returned last week from a trip to Paris. We stayed at the Hotel Waldorf Arc de Triomphe (I don't think it's related to the Waldorf Astoria). We LOVED our hotel for its extremely convenient location - it is within 10-15 minutes walking distance to Arc de Triomphe and Champs-Elysees and 5-10 minutes walking distance to Pereire Metro (subway) and RER (train)stations. The staff is very helpful and attentive. In addition, the room was clean and comfortable. It is smaller relative to regular hotels in the US, but we didn't mind because we only used it for sleeping. We would leave our hotel at 9:30am and only come back 10pm or later every night (for 6 nights). The hotel is in a very nice neighborhood (given its proximity to Arc de Triomphe), so we never felt unsafe coming home so late.

The rate is probably higher than 100 Euros per night, I am not sure. Check out the website: http://www.hotelswaldorfparis.com/en/. We bought a package with airfare and hotel for 6 nights, so I don't know the breakdown cost for hotel. It's definitely worth the money.

Hope this helps.

Posted by
152 posts

Assuming you can handle stairs at the hotel, I highly recommend Hotel jeanne d'arc. 89€ (breakfast extra but loads of boulangeries very close). short walk to the St. Paul metro stop. In the Marais, which is a safe and vibrant community. Book early, this place fills fast...

Posted by
2030 posts

If you are concerned with walking a long way to a metro station, be aware that there is a lot of walking and stairs to deal with witin the metro station to get to your correct train. Most places in central Paris are pretty close to a metro station and Paris is flat (except for Montmartre- which I would not recommend staying in). Sometimes you might just have to jump into a cab to ease up on some of the walking. I don't think you will want a hotel without an elevator. I am pretty able bodied and don't relish the thought of carrying a suitcase up and down stairs, or having to go up and down them several times a day. I would check the 9th arr. for hotels, a little bit out from the center but a good area -- and virtually anywhere in arrs. 1-7.
Consider renting an apartment too, nightly rates will be better than a hotel. www.vrbo.com or other sites are good.

Posted by
8293 posts

Tim, about the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc, I seem to remember that there is a teeny tiny elevator, enough room for one passenger and one medium size suitcase.

Posted by
11507 posts

JJ, you are not alone , you are together!

I travel alone to Paris and consider it very safe. Way safer then most larger American or Canadian cities.

Most crime is pickpocket type, just keep you stuff safe.

There are TONS of hotels that are inexpensive and in central areas. When are you going, the sooner one books the better deals you find. August still has some great rates.

Buses are a better choice for mobility challenged, metro has lots of stairs and long corridors sometimes.

Look at these hotels, they may be booked, or rates may be high if you are looking for June .. but

Hotel Eugenie-Excellant central location, clean , small rooms( small rooms the norm in Paris)

Hotel Pantheon - had some online special rates, low as 105 euros a night, which is a steal for there. Nice rooms, good location.

Hotel Diana- I haven't stayed there yet, I am booked for July, rooms was only 75 euros for single. Good location though.

Hotel Place du Louvre-ditto above, but at 100 euros.

Hotel de College du France- ditto above.

I would check out tripadvisor.com forums, they are great and I have always read the hotel reviews to help me out.

Have a great time,. Paris is a wonderful city.

Posted by
10544 posts

I don't know how long you are staying, but I highly recommend an apartment. As for hotels, try Expedia. We did that our first stay (before I learned how great an apartment is) and I found a great deal where we got our 5th night free in both Paris & London. If you find an apartment you like, check Trip Advisor before you book.

Posted by
152 posts

Norma, you are correct about the tiny elevator at jeanne d'arc. I'd forgotten as we were on the first floor and just used the stairs. Thanks...

Posted by
3261 posts

But...if stairs or a small elevator aren't a problem the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc is a good value in a great location!

Posted by
4 posts

My boyfriend and and I just got back from a romantic week in Paris.  We used Parisforrent.com to find an adorable place in Saint Germain.  They were awesome, super fast service. An agent greeted us at the apartment and point out some of the specialties of the neighborhood.  We had such an amazing trip and Paris for Rent made finding the accommodations so easy.  Its such a different experience to be able to come home and hang out in your apartment instead of being in a hotel room.  We even cooked with ingredients from the Buci market one night.  I highly recommend Parisforrent.com for findeng a place in Paris!

Posted by
360 posts

I suggest you google Hotel de Turenne in the Invalides area. It's an inexpensive 2 star in a good neighborhood (close to rue cler) located between Les Invalides & the Eiffel tower. They have an elevator & are less than a block from the Ecole Militaire metro station. Because it's close to rue cler, there are a lot of american tourists but it's not what I think of as a touristy area such as rue de Rivoli. You will feel very comfortable & safe there. It is very quiet at night as the 7th arron doesn't have a lot of night life other than restaurants & cafes. I've stayed in a variety of Paris hotels but really haven't found better value - I might find a nicer room but at a much higher price, so I keep coming back to this hotel.