Please sign in to post.

paris

Where is the best neighborhood to stay for nightlife/restaurants?

Posted by
32214 posts

Michaeline, I always prefer the Rue Clér neighborhood (as I recall it's in the 7th District), as there are good restaurants, it's within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower and other major sights and has good transportation access (Ecole Militaire Metro station). Some feel it's "too touristy" and have nicknamed it "Rue Rick", but I really like that part of Paris. Paris is one of the most visited cities in Europe, so most of the popular areas are "touristy" to some extent (Latin Quarter, Montemartre, etc.). Happy travels!

Posted by
875 posts

The Latin Quarter (5th arrondissement) is a good place for night life; lots of bistros/cafes/restaurants in the 5th and 6th just off the Seine (around the St. Michel fountain area); several jazz clubs; and close to Notre Dame plaza where there is usually an abundance of evening street entertainment.

Posted by
11507 posts

Ken,, I walked down Rue Cler one evening and it was seriously DEAD as a doornail,, no market stalls were open ( of course) and there appeared to be no nightlife at all. Michaeline, the 4th 5th and 6th arrondissmonts have more lively areas for sure, cafes, bars, life in general.. there are quieter and nosier streets in each area,, so you can choose a hotel NEAR a busy area without being right in middle of busy area.

Posted by
9110 posts

Another vote for the Latin Quarter. Rue Mouffetard, a bit deeper from the river and a tad east (essentially a ten-minute walk SE of the Sorbonne) has more places to eat than you can shake a stick at and all-time great prices. Darn few North Americans go there.....I have no idea why.....probably they're all lost on DeadRueCler.

Posted by
4407 posts

Pat's post is a good reminder that many areas have 'dark' nights; for instance, Rue Cler is mostly closed on Mondays.....so a little research is in order before you make that final hotel reservation. And are you looking for nightclubs and staying out late, or do you just want to avoid wandering around for an hour trying to scrounge up dinner somewhere close to your hotel?

Posted by
11507 posts

Rue Mouffard is loaded with tourists,, wall to wall, and many are North Americans, I do however agree , this is the ONLY forum I have been on where the words "nightlife" and "Rue Cler" would be on same page. LOL

Posted by
10208 posts

We stayed on Montmartre in June and were surprised by the amount of nightlife. Though very touristy during the day, it seemed more local after dark. Of course, Pigalle is at the bottom of the hill, but that's a different sort of nightlife. Not that there's anything wrong with it....

Posted by
15096 posts

Le Marais....this is the "hot" neighborhood in Paris and an easy hop across the Seine to get to the Latin Quarter.

Posted by
204 posts

i vote Le Marais also. not too quiet, not too far, not too expensive. i actually feel at home there.

Posted by
32214 posts

pat, "I walked down Rue Cler one evening and it was seriously DEAD as a doornail". I've never experienced that area being "dead as a doornail". There always seems to be Cafés open, and lots of people. Even on less lively evenings, it's so easy to get to other areas via the Metro that I don't see that as a problem. I still consider Rue Cler to be a nice part of Paris to stay. Perhaps on my next visit, I'll consider staying in a different area. Cheers!