Please sign in to post.

Paris

I am going to Paris on my honeymoon. I have been there before, by my future wife has not. We are arriving on August 23rd in the morning, hopefully we will get checked into the hotel early afternoon. We depart on September 1st early morning. Does anyone have an idea for the perfect sightseeing itinerary. We love to walk and explore.

Posted by
2788 posts

Yes - get a copy of RS Paris Guide Book and follow his walking tour recommendations.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well, first off you go to the hotel and check in,, yes, room may not be ready, but most ( everywhere I have ever stayed at) will check you in and store your luggage for you till you can get in room, Most hotels will also let you in room if it is ready , since they know most of us North Americans flights arrive early and we are exhausted. If not at least they may have a washroom you can clean up in a bit( not shower though).
Then a nice lunch and a wander about, and depending where you are located you may get in a bit of sightseeing( I like to wander over by Notre Dame and Pont Neuf area on my first day,, it just feels like being in the center of it all. As for what to do next 7 days,, that is entirely up to you and your interests,,, I don't make precise plans, but I do note which days museums I want to see are closed( usually mondays or tuesdays, so I don't go all the way over to them to discover them closed, and I also note nights they are open late,, as they are often a bit queiter after 5 or 6. And I make a list of the main sites I want to see and try and assign one or two a day, then build sightseeing around the neighborhood they are in instead of back and forthing all day. I do recommend you try the Fat Tire Night ( or day) bike tours,, they are super fun and a good way to start the trip as they give you a fun overview. They are easy enough for anyone too, so no need to be a jock( I am middleage woman)

Posted by
1821 posts

Romantic suggestions: Sit on the grass by the ET in the evening and watch the sparkles come on.....Wander around the Latin Quarter, Jardins Plantes, Promenade des Plantes, Luxembourg Gardens......Have dinner at Le Montebello, our favourite place where you can sit outside and stare at Notre Dame while you enjoy a reasonably priced dinner......Watch Paris J'taime for ideas....Buy a copy of Romantic Paris by Thirza Valois. Amazon co.uk has it for a reasonable price (3#) or try Barnes and Noble--Amazon.com wants about $50 for it because it is out of print.

Posted by
1068 posts

Two part answer (reaching character limit, sorry...) PART ONE: Wow. What a wonderful honeymoon! As others have noted, you should base your visit on what YOU guys like to do. Museum types? Bookish? Fashionistas? Foodies? Love music? Love wine? However, I will add some "romantickal" suggestions, based on stuff my husband and I have done that gets us feeling that way: Watch the light show on the Eiffel Tower from Trocadero... listening to the fountains play and watching the lights is very romantic. A carousel ride. Seriously! There are several in Paris, including a delightful one in the Luxumbourg Gardens, but for us, the one that screams ROMANCE is the one near the Eiffel Tower, on Quai Branly. The lights go on at night, and it's just... super romantic, in a weird way.

Posted by
1068 posts

PART TWO: Picnic on the Pont des Arts. Get a bottle of wine, some bread, some fruit, a wedge of cheese, and savor the amazing views. Just wandering around in St Germain des Pres. While it isn't very romantic to feel like a tourist in les Deux Magots, it is romantic to grab a glass of wine and sample the delicious sausage on offer at la Pinte, a tiny place that's also in St. Germain des Pres, with virtually NO tourists, ever, that we have noticed. (Except us.) http://www.la-pinte.com/fr,1,7966.html Montmarte is a total cliche, and the crush of touts and tourist shops at the top of the hill is actually ANTI-romantic, but taking in the sunset (or sunrise) from the steps of Sacre Couer is basically just the perfect opportunity to sneak an amazing snog. Another place that's just about perfect for a quick make-out session is Place des Vosges. It is MAGNIFICENT. Plus you can sit on a bench under a tree and just BE in the heart of Paris. Yummy. And don't forget the Tuilleries! People watching from a couple of chairs pulled up to the edge of a fountain... grabbing a cafe creme at Cafe Diane.... the whole place is very romantic. Have a GREAT time!