Please sign in to post.

Paris

We will be in Paris on May1 which is a national holiday and all sights & museums are closed. What do you suggest we do this day?

Posted by
53 posts

You are sooooo lucky. No diversions to keep you from feeling Paris as a Parisian. W-A-L-K through the neighborhoods, saunter down Ste. Germain to the Jardin des Plantes, marvel at the vistas along the river and down the boulevards, eat chocolate, take Le Metro to Eiffel Tower, idle in a cafe where everyone else is speaking French, stare in horror at the prices of clothing and jewels around the Place Vendome, stand on the Alexander Bridge over the Seine and thank your lucky stars that you are in Paris! I am completely jealous. But pace yourself. Return to your hotel for a rest in late afternoon before returning back to the Parisian streets. After dinner, Parisians linger over dinner and stroll until the wee hours. Try to join them!

Posted by
160 posts

If you enjoy walking and exploring, this sounds like a great opportunity to check out the many cemeteries of Paris...in particular Pere Lachaise and Montparnasse. Don't forget the Suresnes American Military Cemetery. The churches shouldn't be closed, either. Remember, a bad day in Paris is better than a good day at work! Enjoy.

Posted by
11507 posts

Well if day is nice I would spend it walking around, Luxembourg Gardens are lovely and if lucky they will have live music there, last time I was there they had a string quartet playing in a gazebo ,, lovely. Cafe time is important,, one must indulge in in a 3 hour lunch at least once in Paris! A cruise up the Seine perhaps, the few I looked at still run on May 1st. Walking around Montmarte , the streets behind Sacre Couer are so cute.
Be sure to visit the Place du Concorde, the fountains are so ornate and spectacular( in that gold gilt way, lol Visit Notre Dame, the church is open that day , although the Towers are closed that day.