Please sign in to post.

Paris

I only have one full day in Paris in October. Any suggestions as to itinerary?

Posted by
8293 posts

Take the Hop-on/Hop-off bus and just get off at the sites that interest you.

Posted by
277 posts

What is a full day? You can take the HOHO bus or the HOHO Batobus. The Batobus stops at eight sightseeing destinations along the Seine. Review their web site for specifics.

Posted by
1001 posts

Copied from a duplicate thread:

7/20/09 12:22 PM
Amy
Madison, WI USA
Edit | Delete
Just shooting from the hip...I would take every opportunity to take in the gastronomy. Wake up - get a coffee and pastry (namely crossaint). Get straight to the Eiffel tower. Take it in, walk under it - but don't go up. you don't have enough time. head to the Arc de Triomph. Take it in, but don't go up. Walk down Champs de Elysses. Eye candy for shops, people and food. Head over to Notre Dame. Tour Notre Dame. Depending on the line to get to the top - if you are doing well, I would go up to the top (but usually the lines are very very long). We have some wonderful photos of Paris with gargoyles inset. Very Parsian! :) When done with Notre Dame - get a Nutella crepe nearby. Then head over to Saint Chappelle church. This is a must see.

Somewhere in here you will need to break for lunch. You can't go wrong with any food in Paris - but make sure to eat cheese at every opportunity. In fact a hunk of cheese and a bottle of wine on the Seine would be a good afternoon break.

For the evening....dinner in the Latin Quarter and a Seine river boat cruise.

That's my best shot at a full day in Paris.

Posted by
32336 posts

Mike,

What are you most interested in seeing? As you've only got one day, it would probably be more productive to focus on the sights that most interest you. The Louvre has many great works of art, but I find that I usually enjoy the Musee d'Orsay just as much.

Be sure to allow enough time to get around and also for queues at some attractions (although in October these should be minimal).

You might consider one of the Hop On / Hop Off Bus tours, as that will cover lots of the main sights and would be a good way to get around.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1852 posts

If you want to have a view from a high point, I would recommend Notre Dame towers (we have also been up the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomph). If you choose to do that, get there early so you can be at the front of the line--probably 30-60 minutes before it opens. It is also the easiest climb. The webmaster's suggestions are excellent; I am just suggesting you start with Notre Dame.

Posted by
421 posts

ok Start at the Notre Dame then jump the bato bus and go up and down the seine jump off at various stops.

Posted by
144 posts

Have been to Paris before? Of course, if you have that makes a big difference. Also, your interests make a big difference too.
In my opinion no matter what you must visit Notre Dame. I also recommend visiting St. Chapel for the gorgeous stained glass.
My favorite museum is the Musee D'Orsay followed by the petite Rodin Museum. I wouldn't wast time in the Lourve with only one day to spare but allow yourself time to walk through the Tuilleries gardens to the Place de la Concorde where the beheadings took place.
If you plan to visit any museums, St. Chapel or the Conciergerie, be sure to buy yourelf a Carte Musee (Paris Museum Pass) good for one day and a carnet of metro tickets (10 tickets). Then ride the metro to each site (be sure to take a look at the Tour Eiffel & the Arc d'Triomphe), both of which have convenient metro stops. You don't have to climb them to enjoy seeing them and with a short amount of time, it is probably best not to. However, if you must go up the Tour Eiffel (the views are fantastic) then climb the stairs to the second level first and avoid the huge lines. Then buy your elevator ticket to the top. There's a great bar on the second level with the same views for the price of a drink. FYI: The Tour Eiffel is the only site not included on the Carte Musee'. I sell Carte Musee passes or you can buy one at your first museum but I recommend buying it at a small museum like the Rodin Museum, to avoid lines. Once you have your card, you walk past all the long lines and go straight inside. It's great! I've used it on every visit to Paris.

Posted by
1852 posts

Blue Denim's suggestion to use the Batobus is excellent. It makes a loop on the river from the Eiffel Tower to the Jardin des Plantes. A complete loop takes about 75 minutes and there are eight stops and some low-key commentary which you can easily ignore if you like. You get on and off as you please. If the stop is on the wrong side of the river for your desired site, just walk across a bridge. It isn't quite as fast as a bus or the metro, but it is much more relaxing and its fun to see the river from a boat. Google batobus AND paris and you will easily find the web site which includes maps. It gets close enough to everything except Montmartre.