Please sign in to post.

Paris

We are flying thru Paris on the way to Istanbul and would like to leave the airport for a few hours before our connecting. Does the metro go to the airport? We have this lay over and then another over night on the way home.

What do definitely hit on those two stops - besides the obvious (eiffel tower, arc de triomphe)?

Posted by
23534 posts

Before the questions can be answered, need to know the airport you are using.

Posted by
3260 posts

...and how long your layover before your connecting flight.

Posted by
16 posts

Oh, right! Charles de Gaulle for about 7-8 hours.

Posted by
264 posts

Effectively the RER works the same as the Metro and connects to all Metro lines. Just take RER Line B into centre ville.

Posted by
8293 posts

I agree with Pat. With a 7 hour connection time you cannot possibly leave the airport and go into Paris "for a few hours". You might manage 45 minutes if everything works for you. Please consider that a) your flight may land in Paris later than scheduled. b) you have to go through Passport Control and unless you have an EU passport this is a lengthy procedure. c) you have to check back in for your connecting flight 2 to 3 hours ahead of departure time AND you must go through Security when you return to the airport.

Posted by
11507 posts

I wouldn't do it with a 7 hour layover, might think about it with an 8 hr one.Will your luggage be checked through to Istanbul? If not what will you do with your bags?

If luggage is checked through you may be able to grab RER into Paris( about 35-40 minutes), get off at St Michels, wander around Latin Quarter for a half hour or so, wander across bridge to Notre Dame, visit inside church( but not Towers, that line is too slow, line for church looks long but moves quickly), take metro to ET,, visit, ( likely not go up,, lines ) and then back to airport..

I have not done this,, but do be aware you will have to go back through security,, so you should aim to be back at airport at least 2.5 hours ahead, many would say 3 hours..
So, your 8 hours, minus 80 minutes( lets round it up to 1.5 hrs) on RER, minus 2.5 hours, leaves you 4 hours in Paris.