Please sign in to post.

Palace of Versailles

We are going to Europe for our first time this December and will be in Paris from Dec 22-26. We are trying to decide if it is worth it to go to the palace of Versailles or if we should skip it and go some where else. Is it easy to get there? About how much does it cost!

Also, we have heard that it is good to make reservations to many of the museums so that you don't have to wait in lines, but will this be necessary during the off season?

Thanks for your help!!

Posted by
11507 posts

Your trip is too short to go to Versailles, you will barely be able to cover the minimum in Paris, LOL
Skip it this time, its better in spring thru fall anyways so you can enjoy the exstensive grounds. It is easy to get there though, and only about 1/2 hr by train. You can get a train and admission combo ticket called the Forfait Loisirs, about 19 euros. Allows you to skip line too.

You will not need to make reservations for museums, I have never done so , and I go in major tourist season. Do plan your visits to certain Musuems to avoid most lines.
May I ask which museums you are interested in?? I do suggest you definately do the Louvre, especially if you don't do Versailles. It was a Royal Palace also, and if you visit Napoleons Apartments there, and see the Crown Jewels, it will give you a taste of the splendor the Royals lived in a la Versailles.

I like the Orsay also, and didn't find lines too bad even in summer, although I have heard others complain. I suggest you go first thing when it opens, actually just before it opens, to avoid waits.

At Louvre there is no need to wait in long line at all, just enter through shopping mall or metro entrance level and buy tickets from machine, quick and easy and I have done this many times now.

The Towers at Notre Dame have long lines . And the Musuem pass does not let you skip them, same with Eiffel Tower, you must just plan to be there before opening.

I don't think lines will be as bad as they are in winter as they are in summer, although I am sure you are not the only tourists planning Christmas in Paris, Have fun!

Posted by
534 posts

I agree with Pat - your trip is too short to spend the better part of a day at Versailles. Save it for another time. The grounds are the best part. It is super easy to get to. The Paris museum pass covers it. That pass allows you to skip lines. But it is too much to cram into your time. You are better off enjoying all that Paris has to offer.

Posted by
264 posts

The highlight of any trip to Paris is Versailles!
I've been to Paris several times, and Versailles was the absolute best day I've spent in France.
If you don't go, you will miss out. Take the guided tour of the "private" apartments. (Not just the general public one). When Mozart was only 7 1/2 years old he played a pipe organ concert in the Versailles chapel for King Louis. It's an awesome place to see. Never mind the gardens, the important parts are the Palace, Hall of Mirrors, and the chapel. Go early, be there at 9 a.m. when they open to avoid the crowds.

Bon Voyage.

Posted by
62 posts

I thought the grounds around Versailles were the best part, so I might save it for when you go in the spring, summer, or fall. It is an amazing place though and not too far from the center of Paris.

Posted by
19 posts

Nikki, we were in Paris over Christmas a few years back and I purchased both a Paris museum pass and a Metro pass that allowed unlimited rides over a 4 day period, including a train transfer to and from the airport and the train to Versaille. The Museum pass will allow you entry to all museums without queuing. Just Google Paris Museum Pass. Also, I remember that there were very few restaurants open on Christmas Eve, so eat early!Have fun.

Posted by
1158 posts

I went to Louvre just a few days before New Year and I had to stay on line for about 2 hours or so.
Paris pass is your best obpion. I loved Versailles, but it takes time to visit. The gardens are amazing, but keep in mind that it's very cold in December in paris. last time when I went to Paris I stayed 5 days and saw a lot. Museums, walking, gardens. We used the subway and went to Versaille by car.
Google Versaille and see how much it is and directions.

Posted by
70 posts

If you are interested in French history and like to see palaces, I would definitely recommend a visit. I'm traveling to France in early May and will only be in Paris for a week, but will still take a half or full day to visit Versailles.

On the other hand, if you'd rather do museums and other major landmarks in Paris, and are not too interested in the history or impressive palaces--skip it.

Posted by
506 posts

Versailles is an unforgettable piece of history, architecture and culture. This past summer I visited many royal palaces in Europe - Brussels, London for example and I realized how special Versailles really is.

Given this is your first trip - my question would be if you thought you would be back again. If not - take the time and go.

One downside is the gardens will not be impressive and in some ways this could be to your advantage - less time. I highly recommend the audio guide to give you little details.

The times of opening are shortened this time of year - mostly because the sun goes down so early. Right now the Palace is open everyday except Mondays - 9am to 5:30pm.

Posted by
536 posts

I will be in Paris in early June and intend to go to Versailles for the first time. How many hours should one give to a Versailles visit? Is a visit giving up a full day in Paris?

Posted by
15768 posts

Richard,

In early June the days are very long. It doesn't really get dark till around 9.30, if memory serves me well. So spend the better part of the day at Versailles, then rest on the train back to Paris and be able to spend the evening enjoying Paris to the last drop.

Once we rented bicycles at Versailles, which made it much easier (and faster) to see the gardens and the outer buildings.