Please sign in to post.

Packing

New to Rick Steves and I was planning to get the Briggs and Riley 21" suit case. Not sure if this is a good choice, other option would be the ebage Motherload TSL 21". I don't think I will make the carryon due to toiletries. Don't want to do a "backpack". I'm a female traveling solo on the Paris 7 day tour. Thanks Melinda
Maryland

Posted by
2139 posts

Melinda, I use the RS 21" roll aboard and like it alot. Just wanted to let you know that luggage is not such a big deal on the "city" tours since you're at 1 hotel and not moving around (no bus). The Paris 7 day tour was my first with RS and it was really great - you will enjoy it!

Posted by
2368 posts

I agree, city tours don't change hotels so you need not need a portable backpack type suitcase for this tour. However, packing light/carry on guarantees you make it to Paris with your luggage, so there are benefits. There are many resources on this website and in prior helpline posts (do a search) with hints on how to pack light. I personally pack the same exact amount of clothes and toiletries for a 7 day or 21 day trip.

Posted by
96 posts

I looked at your 2 choices. Both look very nice but I would suggest that you watch the weight of the suitcase. I have RS 21" Roll Aboard and it is about 2 pounds lighter than your Briggs choice. While that seems insignificant at home, when you are trying to get in and out of trains/buses in a hurry or up the metro stairs, it might make a difference. My husband has the backpack style, which he really likes but there are times when wearing it isn't an option ( he also has a regular back pack that he takes) so you may have to be ready to carry it for a distance but at least he doesn't have to get it up stairs. It might be nice. I would encourage you to try to make it a carry on. Try to just take small containers if you can so you can get it all in your quart bag. It is worth the inconvenience to avoid checking it. That's our rule, at least for the trip to our vacation. On the way home we usually check them. I just don't want to arrive and not have my bag make it.

Posted by
32219 posts

Melinda, The size and weight of the luggage may not be as much of a concern when taking a City tour. Once you've arrived at your Hotel, you'll be there for the week so you won't be lifting the bag on and off trains, etc. Although you won't need as much clothing for such a short tour, as you mentioned the toiletries may be an issue. I normally check one of my bags, and it's not really that much of an inconvenience. I also have a carry-on bag with "essentials", so if my main Pack was "misplaced" for a couple of day, I'm sure I could manage nicely. Which tour are you taking? Do you know yet who your Guide will be? Happy travels!