Please sign in to post.

One week in Spain

If I only have one week in August - where in Spain should I go? This is my first visit to Spain. I may be able to stretch it to 10 days... thanks for advice.

Posted by
11507 posts

Stretch trip, a week is very short to see such an amazing country. I have only spent a week there myself and it was a MISTAKE,wish we had stayed much longer so will return and do just that in a year or two. We did just Barcelona and Tossa de Mar.

Posted by
984 posts

Find more time. What is your vision of Spain, what do you want from this one week? Without, I cannot help.
With as little as one week and presuming entry into one and out of another, Madrid and Barcelona, perhaps, with a day trip somewhere. Is this seven days excluding flight days? Ten days could give Seville or Cordoba.

Posted by
9363 posts

A third vote for the north. Northern Spain is very different from the southern part. It is mountainous and green, with some nice beaches along the coast. You can get a mix of cities and small towns along the way.

Posted by
12172 posts

August is known for being VERY hot in much of Spain. With that in mind, I'd choose either areas in higher elevations, up north, or the Basque coast. Personally, I think it's a great time to visit the north coast somewhere between the French border in the east and Santiago de Compostela in the West.

Posted by
7 posts

I was leaning towards Madrid and North so your input has confirmed that. Thanks so much.

Posted by
668 posts

We spent 2 weeks in Spain in late August & early September this year. We were in Seville, Grenada and Barcelona. It was HOT! Enjoyed it all, though. Barcelona is north, but Mediterranean and was also very hot at that time, though they had heavy rain and flooding shortly after we left. You dont say what your interests are, but if you want a mix of city with history and archetecture and beaches, Barcelona fits the bill with some lovely beaches

Posted by
111 posts

As a first trip, I'd pick Barcelona. I think Barcelona in itself is enough for a week because there is a ton to see and do in the area. Seriously: great museums, beaches, all that cool Gaudi and gothic architecture, world heritage sites, Roman ruins, markets, good food, and on and on. If you go later than mid August, you can probably also catch a FC Barcelona game. Even 10 days there would be fine as there several nice day trips such as Sitges, Tarragona, Montserrat, and Costa Brava. It is hot there in August - but cooler than the south of Spain which will be upper 90s (but feeling like 100+).

Posted by
23 posts

Laureen: The central area of Andalucia is called "the frying pan of Spain" in summer, but there are many cooler, beautiful towns along the Mediterranean coast that have the ruins from throughout history AND nice beaches. Nerja is great, Rincon de la Victoris is a little further East and more low-key. Travel light and bus along the Coast from town to town as you feel ready; that would be a dream vacation in my book! Malaga has a lot to offer (old quarter, Picasso Museum, very intact Roman and Moorish sites). Everything outside the old center is very modern; the bus station and train station (next to each other) are easy to use in either direction to get to the smaller places. Spain is amazing; you will have a memorable trip wherever you decide to visit. Phyllis