Please sign in to post.

One Night in Paris

Due the joys of booking via my frequent flier points, my Tuscan trip got a bonus of one night in Paris, as we had to stop through CDG. We unfortunately aren't landing until 7:30 PM, and fly out early the next morning. We booked the Sheraton near the airport for convenience sake. So, my question is - what could we squeeze in? My husband has never been to Paris, Would it be worth trying to get into the city center that late at night? Even if he just saw the Eiffel tower, I think he would be excited. Or is it asking too much? If so, any recommendations for a nice restaurant near the airport? Maybe we can just have a lovely French meal on our one night in Paris. Suggestions??

Posted by
1078 posts

check in, take the RER to St.Michel station, see Notre Dame at night, walk back across the river down the Rue Danton, and a short walk and to the right is L'Epigramme(sp) for a delightful dinner, stroll back to the station, and back to CDG and a shuttle to the hotel. Don't stress on sleeping, that's for the plane ride back. Have fun!

Posted by
4408 posts

Be sure you are at the Eiffel Tower several minutes before the top of the hour for the light show!!! Then, either before or after the ET (I don't know what time of year you're traveling) have dinner at any good-looking street cafe - anything 'French' like crepes, steak/roast chicken and pomme frites, etc. I don't know if this is your arrival or departure in Europe; if it's arrival, just keep it simple because you'll be tired. ET and a simple meal IN Paris. Any meal in Paris will beat my meal tonight ;-) Are you staying in a Sheraton "near" CDG, or the one IN CDG? That one would be extremely convenient for taking the train into Paris. I don't know how familiar you are with the Paris metro system - I'd take RER B to Denfert Rochereau, then transfer/correspond with metro line 6 to La Motte Picquet Grenelle. Then, just walk down Ave de la Motte-Picquet (turns into Pl Joffre)...et voila!!! Make sure you get your return ticket at the same time you buy the ticket into Paris; it'll save time and trouble. PS - Look for the ET from the air as you ar/dp CDG - I was amazed at just how high it stands out from the ground level!

Posted by
1986 posts

If you are in paris at night, from the center you will also get a view of sacre Douer on its hill (dont have to go there0. i would also do Place de la concorde and maybe a walk or drive up Damps elysee to get a viiew of the Arc. Paris lights andmonuments are quite interesting by night

Posted by
3696 posts

Its magic at night...definitely go for it! The heading for your post sounds like a wonderful movie title....why not play out the script while you are there?

Posted by
15593 posts

The monuments, palaces, fountains, etc. are lit up until midnight. Go for a walk and enjoy them too. Or a cruise on the Seine. Les Vedettes du Pont Neuf (my fave) has departures until 10 or 10.30, depending on the time of year.

Posted by
1068 posts

@Terry kathryn - what a great idea! I think going into the city is DEFINITELY worth it. Paris at night is magical. You can watch the light show on the Eiffel Tower, stroll around St. Germain des Pres, duck into a little cafe for dinner.... Paris is your oyster for just one night! You might consider a Seine cruise. That would be insanely romantic. And think of how soundly you'll sleep the next day on the flight home! I'd even suggest springing for a cab back to the airport, so you don't have to worry about how late you stay out...

Posted by
588 posts

If you wish to go to the top of the ET, buy your tickets online for a designated time. It saves you a lot of time. You will need about 60-90 minutes and it is well worth it. I'm not sure you will have enough time to do this since it takes some time to get from CDG but you definitely need to go into Paris. A Seine tour might be the thing to do.

Posted by
99 posts

If it were me, I'd take a Seine river tour and enjoy a nice meal. Then I'd just walk. And walk. And walk.

Posted by
115 posts

I was only ther for 2 nites and days...and still never got to do one of my musts.....ride on the boat on the Seine....If I could bring a loved one there or one nghtI would go to the tower with lights in full and take the river cruise to see the most in the shortest time. And just find a nice cafe or outdoor crepe seller and eat and enjoy your surroundings. (I came by train, and the money I spent for a cab for us to the hotel was some of the best spent) I dont know if the hotels have any services that can get you a driver for a quick "run around the basics of the city and drop you off by the tower? I would consider it if they do....(I found front desks to be very helpful)

Posted by
7 posts

Wow - thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. You've got me excited to make the most of it! We'll probably do the Seine tour. Thanks again!

Posted by
719 posts

Definitely do it. Paris at night... There is nothing better, or more romantic. The ET at the top of the hour, a Seine Cruise, Notre Dame, a street lit cafe at night... I might spend the entire night and skip the Sheraton altogether... ;-)

Posted by
11507 posts

Check when last train /shuttle returns to airport, you may decide to stay later and just take a taxi back,, about 50-55 euros,, but worth if for an evening in Paris!