Please sign in to post.

One Night in Frankfurt

I have searched the forum for Frankfurt and have read lots of interesting things, thank you! We have an unexpected one night layover in Frankfurt at the end of a 3 week vacation in Italy. This will be the night of Jan 9th. So yes, it will be cold and get dark very early. However, I would like to make apple wine out of apples so to speak! I know we will be sad that our vacation is at an end, so I would like something or someplace memorable. I am afraid if we spend the night at an airport hotel we would just be depressed. I would love to be in a location where we could have a nice walk in the late afternoon, followed by a pleasant evening of German food and drink. I read a little bit about the Sachsenhauser area? It sounds charming. I would like to spend no more than 225€ for the night.

Posted by
8994 posts

Sachsenhausen on a Monday night is going to be really dead to be honest. There are some nice places there to go to, but I think I would recommend going to either Bornheim and the Berger strasse or possibly the Schweizer strasse, which is also in Sachsenhausen but with a different atmosphere. For dining in Sachsenhausen, my recommendation is Dauth Schneider. For Borhnheim, there are a whole slew of places up and down the Berger Str. but you might like Zur Sonne or Apfelwein Solzer, very old applewine pubs, with great food. Walking along the river at sunset is lovely any time of the year, or going up to the top of the Main Tower, where you get the sunset happening behind the Taunus mountains and see the lights come on in Frankfurt. Usually stunning. For a nice hotel, and for that price, you can have a REALLY nice hotel, try the Hilton or the Adina with an upper floor. For a unique hotel, try the Hotel Nizza http://www.hotelnizza.de/eng/index.html or Hotel am Berg. http://www.hotel-am-berg-ffm.de/

Posted by
2 posts

Jo, thank you for such a thoughtful response! This is all rather last minute and my only Frankfurt experience has been the airport, but rather than be sad about leaving Venice early, I am excited about experiencing something new, even though briefly. I will look into your suggestions, thanks again! Can you give me an approximate idea of how long a taxi ride it is from the airport?

Posted by
8994 posts

Depending on time of day and traffic and where in the city you are going to, an average taxi ride will take about 20 min. unless traffic is bad, and then 30 might be more like it. Cost will be about 35 euro. An S-bahn ride will only take between 11-15 min. and cost you 3.90 each. I think this price may change later this month to 4 euro) Unless you have a lot of luggage, I would go for the S-bahn.