Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest

My friends and I that I went to highschool with, there are 6 of us, will be all around Europe for the next 5 months. We want to meet up in Munich for oktoberfest.

i know things fill up quickly but there are no hostels with availability for either weekend. any suggestions on what we can do? i'd say stay in salzburg or fussen but I can't imagine taking a train ride drunk as piss late at night.

should we X the idea, or take the night train friday night, arrive saturday - drink ourselves silly and back on the train that night? I know there is a direct overnight train from florence to Munich, and I believe Rome too - thats where we'll be coming from. A few folks will be close by in Praha so that's no big deal.

Posted by
6929 posts

It doesn't make much sense to travel all that way if your plan is to leave the country the next evening.

I'd suggest that you meet friends somewhere else in Germany where there are rooms that don't set you back 200 Euros and stay for a few days.

You know, it's not Munich is the only place for a beer party. Garmisch is nice and more exciting than a place like Füssen. Hostels, inexpensive B&B's etc. Lots of outdoor activities (hike the Partnach Gorge, or what about the Zugspitze, Germany's highest Alp?) to burn off the beer calories. And lots of BEER, like everywhere else in Bavaria. At the Fraundorfer Inn, they serve delicious German food, play oompah music, and serve great beer in liter-sized mugs.

Nuremberg is great too - nice hostels, a beer hall or two, interesting stuff to see. And it's easy to get to from Prague or Munich.

You could daytrip into Munich from either Garmisch or Nuremberg for the O'fest easily enough if you want to - even if totally pissed, one of you should be able to guide the rest of you back to your hostel from the train station.

Posted by
174 posts

thanks for the tips...I think i'll look into stay somewhere close...i'm sure out of the 6 of us, at least a few of us can navigate - we're actually pretty responsible.

now if I can just find a hostel with a 6 bedroom mixed dorm that would be PERFECT.

Posted by
12040 posts

"At the Fraundorfer Inn, they serve delicious German food, play oompah music, and serve great beer in liter-sized mugs." Yes! Best B&B in Bavaria, in my humble opinion. I think other places in town serve better Bavarian food, but the atmosphere is perfect.

Posted by
94 posts

Yes the Fraundorfer is great, as well as the Garmisch area. Short ride on the train to Munich. Try the beer liqueur at the Fraundorfer. It is served warm with whipped cream, in a small glass with a handle. We saw some of the locals trying it so, of course, we did too. It was great.