Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest

Hello,
I will be attending Oktoberfest this year for two days (Saturday and Sunday). I attempted several months ago to make a reservation at a beer tent. I found out that most of the tents are full during evening hours and if they had an opening you needed at least 10 people to reserve a table. Any suggestions on how to get a seat to drink ONE beer? Thank You for any help.

Posted by
534 posts

Go early and put your best social networking face forward. If you can get "in" with a group at a table - you should be able to get a beer served to you. The rule is if you are not seated, you don't get served - but I think they are pretty loose with it. Because you are going on a Sat/Sun - that is going to be the hardest of all. I hear the lines can be out the door to get in. But if you go first thing on Sunday....you may just do it.

We went on a Wed, walked right in, sat down and drank all day until we got kicked out at 6pm when the reservations start.

Posted by
12313 posts

I have some techniques that seem to work well for me.

First, don't choose the most touristy tent. The lines seem to be a lot longer at the Hofbrauhaus tent, for example, than the Lowenbrau tent. The bier and company IMO are better at the Lowenbrau tent too.

Second, I get to the tents after a big early afternoon dinner eaten outside the tents (still light out). It seems like the first wave have left (literally been carted off) and the second wave haven't fully arrived yet.

When you get in look for a seat, you can't be served unless you are in a seat. My technique is to ask a barmaid (without gettng in her way) if she has a seat available.

The whole thing closes early (10:30 pm) so many people head off to clubs afterwards.

Posted by
193 posts

Amy is right. I've gone the past two years, and if at all possible I'd try to go on a weekday. If not, get there very early. The tents open at 9:00 with lines starting about 7 am. My wife and I got there about 11:00 and were lucky to squeeze in on the end with some Danes. With just a couple people it's easier move around and get seating.

When you do get in...hang on for a fun ride, but make sure you eat through the day...so you can remember the day.

Prost!

Posted by
9 posts

Amy, Brad and Reg Dunlop.

Thank you for your replies and advise. I guess the consensus is in, arrive early and apply some good old American charm.
Unfortunately we have already booked a hotel for the weekend in Munich, so we are kinda stuck with Saturday and Sunday.

"When you do get in...hang on for a fun ride, but make sure you eat through the day...so you can remember the day."

Point well taken.

The last time I attended was when I was three, this year will be a much different experience. Thank you again!

Posted by
319 posts

We went on a saturday without reservations. We didn't get into a beer tent but there are lots of small beer gardens and little-ish restraunts to eat at. We had to wait for a few minutes to get seating for lunch, and we shared a table, but it was fun. Plus after a liter or few of beer you'll be best friends with everyone there.