Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2012 opens on Saturday. Are you going?

Who is going? Who would have loved to go? Who would never even consider going anywhere near? Oktoberfest 2012 opens on Saturday, 22nd of September.

Posted by
8942 posts

Not going and have never wanted to go. It does not look like fun at all to me. Over priced everything and way too many drunks acting stupid, to make spending time there even remotely interesting. There are a zillion fests happening in Germany all year round, that are unique, fun, and interesting, but the Oktoberfest is one I absolutely do not want to visit. I know I am in a minority here, but that is ok. For many people this is the high-light of visiting Germany. If it is something you want to do and see, then you should go and enjoy yourself. http://www.worldcrunch.com/beer-and-groping-why-munichs-oktoberfest-not-always-fun-women/culture-society/beer-and-groping-why-munich-s-oktoberfest-is-not-always-fun-for-women/c3s3865/#.UFqzARhhPJw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-iV4_kyvqw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3o-xNfQ1Q&feature=related

Posted by
3049 posts

I'm sort of with Jo, Germany is the land of fests. Why go to one that is mostly full of tourists and totally overcrowded and a hassle to go to? THat said, I feel like I have to go, because the first question I will get upon returning back to the states is "Did you go to Oktoberfest?" Sigh. If I go though, I think I will do it as a day trip so I don't have to bother with overpriced hotels. I'm pretty good at getting on trains, even when drunk. But I love the Volksfest here in Stuttgart. Kinda wish more tourists knew about it, because I think people would really love it. As Ralph said, it's like Oktoberfest without the international hype. It's great fun, I'm going next weekend. Which reminds me, I have to get my dirndl tailored. :)

Posted by
12040 posts

I have other plans next week, but I wouldn't go even if I was free. A friend of mine who visited last year compared it to Savannah's St. Patrick's Day celebration, which I have attended and did not like at all. Not a fan of wall-to-wall people, loud noise, long waits for overly expensive drinks, overflowing public toilets, etc.

Posted by
109 posts

We will be there October 1_3. First timers. Any advice/tips?

Posted by
9363 posts

I drank my share of German beer when I was a student in Austria back in the Dark Ages, so I'm not anti-beer but I'm not a beer drinker now. It would not interest me in the least to go hang around and watch people become drunk and obnoxious. Crowded, overpriced, nothing attractive about it to me.

Posted by
208 posts

Anyone that goes needs to be sure to go into downtown Munich on Sunday morning. The parade goes all thru downtown and is amazing. Best part of my 2009 trip was the parade.

Posted by
75 posts

I will be in Munich from 9/29 and leaving on 10/2. We are planning on going multiple times. This is our second time there and we really enjoyed it the first time. We met a lot of different people from all over the world. We enjoyed several things at Oktoberfest including the rides, games, and of course the beer. It reminding me of a fair on steroids.

Posted by
12 posts

I have been to Oktoberfest twice; once with a friend and once with my son. My son was not happy that I did not take him since he "likes beer". I can say that both times were loads of fun, except for the guys running the rides. They were nasty people. I should have just stayed in the tent... The hardest part is getting into them without a ticket but somehow managed this feat both times. With all that being said, I think if you are there it is fun to go and be witness to the stupidity of drunk people; however, I do not have any desire to return. It's kind of one of those bucket list, "been there done that" type of things. There is far too many other things to see / do to return to the same spot year after year to do the very same thing. I am glad I went and have some amazing memories...

Posted by
90 posts

I definitely have found Stuttgart's Volksfest a really fun event, and you will actually be able to get in to a tent to drink beer, sway at a table and hear the wonderful music. Some of the best times I can remember ever were at Stuttgart's Volksfest.

Posted by
9566 posts

Doesn't sound like the place for me. But the Volksfest, now that sounds cool! Was also interested inSarah's reply to Chani about Renaissance markets. Have done hardly any travel in the German-speaking world these last few years, I need to fix that!

Posted by
3049 posts

Kim, feel free to PM me if you want more info. It's probably too late to get reservations in a tent for Volksfest this year, but if you can go on a weekday you can probably get in without one. That said, it's still crowded and full of drunk people, just not AS crowded and as full of as many drunk people as Oktoberfest! And the hotel room prices don't triple in down during the event, although I'm sure they do book up substantially. Don't know why Ralph has to randomly crap on a city in a thread that has nothing to do with that. So bizarre.

Posted by
3049 posts

You're still welcome to share your opinions on Munich vs. Berlin on the cage fight thread, Ralph!

Posted by
8942 posts

Ralph just posts stuff without backing it up with anything as to why he feels the way he does about places. Look at his posting history. One liners dropped with no explanation as to why something is good or bad or recommended. So, here are my cards Ralph. My worst day in Berlin is better than the best day in Munich. Why? Because Berlin is lively, interesting, exciting, full of contrasts. A true, international capital city. Munich though, is staid, placid, boring and frankly a bit of a stuffed shirt. Perfectly nice, but not exciting and not someplace I really want to go visit again. Berlin calls me back again and again.

Posted by
3049 posts

If your entire experience of Berlin is based around the Brandenburger Tor and Checkpoint Charlie, then I'd agree with you, Ralph. Just like Munich experienced primarily through Marienplatz and the Hofbrauhaus leaves much to be desired.

Posted by
3049 posts

Everything is about Berlin Vs. Munich. Even the U.S. Presidential debates will eventually rest on the Berlin vs. Munich question. Actually, I can make it relevant - Oktoberfest versus Berlin's International Beer Festival: CAGE FIGHT: Round 2 Electric Boogaloo
j/k guys, j/k