Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2012

I would like to take my husband to Oktoberfest 2012 for his 40th birthday. There seem to be a ton on Oktoberfest "packages" with various tours and stuff that we are not interested in and they all have beer tent reservations. We love to travel and love to just explore on our own but are not opposed to a guide if we need one. What are your suggestions on the packages and the beer tent reservations? I would also like any suggestions on places to stay. Thanks!

Posted by
813 posts

Hotel reservation should be done now, I agree. Tent reservations for 2 people aren't really necessary. A tour group of 50, absolutely needs reservations. You can always go at lunch time/noonish or early afternoon and keep your place through the evening as long as the table doesn't have a reserve placard on it. You can book table reservations directly with the restaurants online if you wanted to go ahead and make them. I don't think you need a guide.

Posted by
2145 posts

On the first Sunday of Oktoberfest, there's a big parade in Munich that you don't want to miss. You'll see people in native costumes, some with instruments, some herding cattle, some with ancient weapons. It's quite a spectacle and immensely enjoyable. If it's possible, you should schedule your trip to be there that morning. We stayed right down the street from the Oktoberfest grounds, in one of the hotels in the RS book. It was nice to be able to just walk down the street. We didn't book any packages or make beer tent reservations; we just showed up and enjoyed ourselves. We were just in Munich for 2 nights, on our way to Italy.

Posted by
24 posts

We stayed at the Pension Westfalia in 2006 (though not during Oktoberfest). It is right across the street from the Oktoberfest grounds which could be both good and bad. :) Rooms were not fancy but had a great breakfast. http://www.pension-westfalia.de/munich/

Posted by
199 posts

Hello Cheryl, what an awesome birthday present. I stayed here in 2002 and 2005. The Siebels-Park Hotel is located in West Munich. You can take the S-Bahn into the Hauptbahnhof from the Pasing station. There was a bus stop in front of the hotel that takes you to the Pasing station. I think there is also a tram nearby that will take you to the center. In 2005 I stayed at the Hotel Siebel and was quite happy. It was a short walk to the Oktoberfest grounds (10 Minutes) although it being so close it might get a little noisy at night. I booked Hotel Siebel about three weeks before Oktoberfest in 2005. Although that was probably a fluke. You can always check on-line for a closer or better hotel because people do cancel. I preferred staying closer to the grounds because of the convenience. But I agree that the sooner you book the better. http://www.seibel-hotels-munich.de/en.html Prost!

Posted by
14 posts

I have been to Oktoberfest the last 3 years and must say that the last time I went was so much better than the first 2 times b/c I went on a mon. The weekends at Oktoberfest are so crowded it's almost not even enjoyable. When I went on a mon the tents were open all day so you could come and go as u pleased. On sat the tents were closed by 0900. So if u go on a weekday I don't think u need a guide or a reservation. Have a drink in one tent and then move on to experience another - they are all so different inside, u don't want to be stuck in just one. Make sure to wear a dirndl!

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Cheryl, I know what you mean, I remember when I started looking this time last year there where so many to choose from. I didn't want the perpetual frat party crawl, or the get on the bus get off the bus thing. My wife and I just wanted someone to take care of the basics and allow us to do our own thing when we wanted. I am happy to say we found Spyglass had exactly the kind of "Oktoberfest Tour" we were looking for. The only tour guide portion was when we arrived and Michael showed us how to use the metro system and how to find our way to and from Oktoberfest which is only 10 mins walk from the hotel. Charlene mentioned the big parade on Sunday, there is also one on Saturday, it lined up right in front of the hotel, we were able to walk around taking pictures of all the people in dress and the beer wagons before it started. We stayed a full week and I have to agree with Margaret, during the week was a lot more fun at the Oktoberfest than the weekend. We did have two tent reservations with our tour, but also visited many of the tents for lunch during the week.
If you haven't already booked a hotel or different tour company, I highly recommend you at least look at their website. http://www.oktoberfestpackages.com Prost!

Posted by
3049 posts

We stayed for 3 nights at Hotel Hahn in the past. It's a traditional-ish slightly kitschy but clean and comfortable hotel right on the streetcar line that will take you within a couple blocks of the fairgrounds in a few stops. So a good location, far enough away from the madness but close enough to be convenient. It's also walking distance to the Augustiner brewery which has some of the best food, beer, and atmosphere in Muinch (also listed the RS guide). The neighborhood it's in is rather boring so I bet you could still get a room there. Book something soon though!

Posted by
12172 posts

I usually look for a pension. Just keep trying. Many people make reservations then change their plans and cancel. I second the recommendation of the opening day (mid-September) parade from downtown, it's outstanding. As far as getting into the tents, there is usually a window of opportunity in late afternoon. I normally eat a good meal (maybe three or four, you don't want to go to a tent on an empty stomach) then find a seat in a tent and stay there until you're ready to wander toward the gate. Be careful about sitting down at a table with a reserve placard - they'll kick you out right when the lines are getting long. You don't need a package, but you do need a place to stay. Worst case scenario you can stay in a nearby town easily reached by train but expect drunk crowds on your ride home.

Posted by
7702 posts

In regards to the tents and reservations, it probably depends a bit on what you are after. If you want to spend an evening there, then a reservatin may not be a bad idea, meaning you need to go with a package. As others mentioned, if you want to just experience the tents, have a few beers, then plan on a weekday. You could easily plan on being in Munich the Sunday of opening weekend, take in the festivities outside the tents, then hit the fest grounds the Monday after and enjoy the tents. You are free to walk into the tents and look around, but to have to be seated to order. If tables are empty, look to see if they have a card, if so, look to see what time the reservation is for. If the time noted is hours off (most may be reserved only for the evening) then look for the beer gal for the section, point to the table, you will get a nod or a scowl. We were there that Monday and were able to sit in several tents, at least as many (maybe more) as we wanted.