Please sign in to post.

Oktoberfest 2010 Munich and Volksfest Stuttgart

It is early, but my wife and I (met in Germany)want to plan a trip to Stuttgart in Sept. 2010 for their Volksfest and take a night train to for a couple days at the Munich 200th Oktoberfest. We hear the one in Stuttgart has less tourists and is overall less crowded. Also plan to visit some small towns. Anyone been to this in Stuttgart? Any recommendations on hotels, flights, when to book everything, etc. Thanks!!

Posted by
1 posts

My wife and I are thinking about the same trip. If you hear anything, please pass it along.
Larry
Blairsville, GA

Posted by
959 posts

My husband went to Volksfest twice in Stuttgart and confirms that there are less tourists and it is not as crowded. But I'm pretty sure every other festival is less touristy and crowded than Oktoberfest! ;) My husband and I also met in Germany, in Stuttgart to be precise. Don't have recommendations for hotels because we always stay at the military lodging... sorry! Tuebbingen and Strasbourg, France are nice day trips from Stuttgart. Have fun!

Posted by
9140 posts

You might want to take a look at the MuseumsUfer Fest in Frankfurt the last weekend in August too. This has become one of the premier events in Germany. With over 3 million visitors for the 3 day weekend, it sounds crowded, and sometimes is, but the party atmosphere is more fun and not so alcohol fueled like Oktoberfest. A lot cheaper prices too. Plus you get to visit 19 different museums along the riverbanks for just 4 euro the entire weekend.

This is my favorite fest and I spend about 10-12 hours a day there, each day of it. Every time I watch Oktoberfest stuff on tv, I almost cringe. The overwhelming drunkenness of so many of the participants simply puts me off.

Posted by
12313 posts

I haven't been to the Stuttgart festival. I've been to Bonnfest and thought it was, in many ways, more enjoyable than Oktoberfest.

The things I liked better in Bonn:

One super-size tent rather than a variety of tents (I didn't have to wonder whether I picked the right tent).

It was open all night. I left at 4:00 am and it still seemed early - Oktoberfest chases everyone out at 10:30 pm.

The tent had two stages, one oom-pah band and one rock band (that played mostly ABBA songs). They took turns so there were no music free break times.

They weren't as rule-oriented. People stood on the tables and sang along with the band. No rule that you had to be seated to order a beer.

It seemed more family oriented with three to four generations of German families all enjoying themselves together and far less touristy.

There were significantly less passed out drunk people being carted off in ambulances.

The things I liked better at Oktoberfest:

The opening day parade.

The traditional clothing worn by Bavarians.

Experiencing Bavarian traditions in Bavaria (blue and white checkered flags in Bonn seem out of place).

Posted by
56 posts

Robert,

I've been to both and while the Stuttgart Volksfest is less crowded, of course the Oktoberfest is a must-see as well. The Stuttgart version is a mini-version would be my only input on one over the other...and the beer is slightly different (different brewers, etc).

My family and I went to Oktoberfest on Family Day this past Tues and there were no real lines, the tents were full, but not overcrowded and we had no problems what-so-ever; everyone got to see and do what they wanted. Reserveations are needed in the tents after 5pm, but are first come; first serve before that ~ same in Stuttgart, if I remember correctly.

Day trips from Stuttgart via car or train? Garmisch-Partenkirchen is nice, but closer to Munich. The castle at this link is right there and pretty nice to see: http://www.stuttgart-tourist.de/ENG/leisure/ludwigsburg_residenzschloss.htm

No ideas on hotels, sorry. Re: flights ~ I'd imagine tickets would be a little spiked that time of year due to Oktoberfest, but here is a good link to keep checking for the best prices: http://www.abctravel.de/EN/agb.php

We've used them a lot for travel back and forth to the USA and they always beat other discount sites; call for best prices.

Hope that helps; safe travels!

Andrew

Posted by
6 posts

I have been to a winefest in Stuttgart during late August and it is quite crowded. Normally during the fests there are soccer games with many matches being played, plan accordingly and make reservations early. If you plan on taking the train from Stuttgart to Munich I highly recommend taking the Regional Express, it doesn't make as many stops as the Regional Bahn. Sorry I can't make recommendations on hotels but since you will be traveling from the west to the southeast a stop in Wurzberg and to the Residence on the hill is a must!