Please sign in to post.

oktoberfest

My husband and I will be passing through Munich during Oktoberfest. Neither one of us are beer drinkers but we thought it would be fun to go anyway. My question is, can we just show up without a reservation, have a beer and pretzel and then leave. Do you pay to get into the tents or can you bounce from tent to tent. Also, we will be in Munich on a Friday. Will this make it more difficult to get into a tent?

Posted by
35 posts

You absolutely must go --it's a can't-miss experience. The beer is surprisingly drinkable, and there's also wine.

You don't have to pay to walk around or through a tent, but a seat inside on a Friday is impossible. In fact, you won't even be able to go in after about 5:30, as they fill up. Once the occupancy limit is reached, German rigidity kicks in. But the outside decks are much more pleasant anyway - inside is very smoky, loud and rowdy for non- Muencheners.

So, tour some tents as early as possible, stroll the grounds and soak up the atmosphere, then find a seat at a table on a deck and order "ein Maas und ein Pretzel" (or"zwei", for 2)from a harried waitress. Toast your neighbors, and you'll soon have some new friends. Have another beer.

Once you're settled, you might as well have dinner--the food is surprisingly good. Roast ox, roast pork, roast chicken(Hend'l-a Bavarian specialty) and, of course, sausages. Have another beer. You'll soon get into the spirit!

Posted by
29 posts

Have a great time at Oktoberfest. Going for an hour or so for a walk around, a beer and a pretzel is probably your best option. Some things to consider:

- You'll find free seats with other patrons at the long tables in the middle of the tents.
- The food in the tents is fairly expensive, a meal is usually meat and potatoes and costs $20 Euros easily.
-Outside there are many booths selling various foods, sweets, and nick-knacks. get a good pretzel(ein bretzen)here.

- A friday is fine, but I'd go there around dinner time, 5-8pm. After that it becomes a bit unruly since everyone's had hours to drink. The "gestapo-ish" security haul off many foreign drunkards throughout the evening.
- You don't have to order the huge 1 liter beers (ein Mass). You can get the half liters which are drinkable. The big ones tend to get warm by the time you're half through.
- With so many people,the bathrooms are gross, avoid if possible!

Have fun,

Jason