Please sign in to post.

Oberammergau Passion Play 2010

I am planning a trip to the 2010 Passion Play in Oberammergau and am debating between a category 1 and category 2 seat. Has anyone been there who can give their opinion on which seats are better? I have received mixed reviews from the travel companies selling the seats (the both think theirs are the best). Category 1 is about double the cost so trying to figure out if it is really critical to be in category 1. Once in a lifetime trip so if the category 1 are significantly better than I will spring for it...just trying to get an unbiased opinion.

Posted by
416 posts

Anmarie,

I haven't actually seen the Passion Play, but I toured the theatre about 20 or so years ago and if you are concerned at all about acoustics, don't be. They are fantastic. Part of the tour involved each group (there were multiple tour groups there at the same time) singing to demonstrate the acoustics and had us stand in different areas while the tour guide spoke from the stage. We could hear perfectly from everywhere. If you are concerned about being able to see, I don't remember the theatre being so huge that you would have trouble if you were in seats way at the back. Bring opera glasses with you if you are concerned. In other words, I wouldn't spring for the category 1 seats.

Posted by
30 posts

I toured the play house in 2006 and I really didn't think there was a bad seat in the house. My husband and I are going in September and we did a 2 night package with category 2 seats. We couldn't justify the extra expense for the category 1 seat. We also are doing a guesthouse instead of the more expensive hotels. I love Oberammergau and the guesthouses are so quaint. We can't wait. Have fun!