Please sign in to post.

Oberammergau in 2010

We are thinking about going to Oberammergau in 2010. It seams like a long time away but tour coumpanies are allready taking reservations. If someone has done this before, is this a trip you can do on your own or is it best to book a tour.

Posted by
12040 posts

I'm guessing you want to see the Passion Play. If you can obtain tickets on your own, I see no reason to use a tour. Its a fairly small town, and the Bavarian Alps are so easy to navigate by car that other than convenience, I can't imagine why a tour company would be necessary.

Posted by
27 posts

Since it is a very small town with many people converging for the Passion Play, I recommend a tour. Tour companies from around the world will have it all booked up.
I saw the play in 1970. It is well worth the experience. It would be sad to not be able to stay in the town and soak up all the atmosphere.
Ann

Posted by
12040 posts

But I would also add that the Bavarian Alps are filled with great little towns. If you can't get a room in Oberammergau, there's no shortage of rooms in the surrounding area (but of course, this would probably necessitate renting a car).