Please sign in to post.

normandy tours

we are traveling to the Normandy region and are particularly interested in
the WW2 aspect. We will be visiting the museums, (should we see them all?) and wanted advice on a tour guide who would really maximize our historical understanding in depth.
We are planning to stay in Rouen, Honfleur and Bayeux. I would appreciate any tips.

Posted by
2724 posts

Last fall, we took two one-day tours with Battlebus Tours -- American Highlights and Band of Brothers. They were fantastic -- mini-vans with 8 passengers, so nice and small. The guides are fantastic. They know their stuff and have lots of stories to tell, many of them from veterans they have taken on tours. You must stay in Bayeux to take their tours. I picked them because of the huge number of recommendations on this site.

If you want something more customized, Stuart Robertson, one of our Battlebus guides is now on his own. Very nice guy.

We went to the Airborne Museum with one of our tours and it was very good. I think we hit one or two other small museums plus the one at the cemetary. We spent one day on our own touring, but wanted to see the actual sites rather than spend our time in museums, so I can't offer any recommendations on that. I would recommend seeing the Bayeux tapestry, though. I loved it.

Have a great time in Normandy. It's a very special place.

Posted by
1035 posts

I did a one-day Battlebus tour last fall. I can't recommend it strongly enough. It was quite moving and really added additional color and context to many of the sites I have heard about my while life.

Posted by
875 posts

We did the 1-day Battlebus American Highlights Tour, and thought it was extraordinary! Hope to return soon and do a 2-day Battlebus tour. I don't think you'll find anything any better.

Posted by
5573 posts

I also recommend the Battlebus tours. I took the two day American tour in October and thought it was outstanding. I'd like to go back and take the British and Canadian tours with them.

Posted by
1568 posts

I would also recommend the Battle Bus Tours. We took the all day American Highlights tour and was VERY pleased with their knowledge of events.

Posted by
1318 posts

Just to break the monotony and to give you an option, I recommend D-Day Battle Tours. The one I took was outstanding.