Please sign in to post.

Normandy France

Where can I purchase perhaps a vile or small jar of Utah Beach sand?

Posted by
33526 posts

That's a beautiful idea, Linda. Unfortunately as I search my memory banks for what was being sold in the museums' gift shops I don't remember anything like that. Shame. Maybe somebody else has a better answer. Good luck...

Posted by
9 posts

Is it illegal for you to collect your own small amount?

Posted by
9110 posts

The French won't care - - most people bring home more than a vial in their shoes. What's going to nab you is the Americans - - you can't bring in plants, meat, DIRT, etc. What you can probably get away with is a hunk of shingle (small, round, flat rocks about the size of a silver dollar) that abound on the high tide line.

Posted by
9436 posts

Linda, Are you going there and asking where to buy sand when you're there - or are you not going there and would like to purchase some from here? I can't tell from your question. We've brought home a baggy full of sand from Omaha Beach many times on recent trips. Never had a problem. It's not illegal. It is sand... on a beach.

Posted by
2 posts

We were at the beach in July and brought sand back in small zip lock bagswhile we didn't offer it up that we had it, we were not questioned. I don't remember seeing any sand available for purchase in a gift shop. When we got home we put the sand in very small glass bottles and tied with a red/white/blue ribbon. We also got a bit of dirt from the Pegasus Bridge location and did the same.

Posted by
1 posts

The Roosevelt Cafe on Utah beach sells small jars of various sizes that you can use to fill with sand, they do not discourage it at all. In fact the small jars will have Utah Beach on them, with a cork. They are very nice to have, I wish I brought home more. I have more sand then I do Jars, I was giving them as gifts to friends.

Posted by
1568 posts

OOPS! Did not know it was illegal. :)

Posted by
234 posts

We used the jelly jars from the hotel breakfasts. We then brought them back in the make-up case in the luggage.