Please sign in to post.

Normandy

Would it be easier to rent a car in Paris and drive to Normandy? Is the drive easy/scenic? Or just take the train from Paris to Bayeux and rent a car there? We plan on staying in the Normandy area for about 4 days.

Posted by
2081 posts

travelgirl,

if you all like to drive, then drive from Paris to Normandy. i personally hate driving here and there so i take the train. again, its what floats your boat.

happy trails.

Posted by
1005 posts

I would take the train to Caen and then drive the rest of the way to Bayeux. There are many direct trains to Caen and there are four rental agencies across the street from the Caen train station (they're not as handy in Bayeux).

Posted by
66 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I hadn't thought about Caen.

Posted by
9420 posts

I've driven from Paris to Bayeux many times, I've taken a train from Paris to Bayeux and rented a car there, and I've taken a train to Caen and rented a car there several times. I agree with T., the easiest is a train to Caen and rent the car there. The drive from Paris is scenic but it's more fun and relaxing to enjoy the scenery from a train.

Posted by
6498 posts

I agree, train to Caen, or maybe Rouen, then drive from there. You can return the car at CDG if that's where you'll end up.

If you're in Caen, don't miss the Memorial, actually a big museum mostly about WWII, extremely well done. Bayeux would be a better base for other purposes though.