Please sign in to post.

Normandy

Looking for a nice hotel for two couples in Normandy. On the shore would be nice and centrally located to all the sights in Normandy. Would love three star or above. We need queen beds if possible. we are taking my parents and they can't walk stairs, need a lift. Please give suggestions on Hotels.

Posted by
32213 posts

cheryl, Normandy is a fairly large area. Do you have any preferences on which town you want to stay in? How important is being close to the "shore"? One central location you might consider is Bayeux (although it's a few miles from the "shores". Have a look at * www.hotel-churchill.fr/en.php * to see if it meets your criteria (you'll have to cut & paste the links inside the asterisks, given the current "technical problems" on the HelpLine). Bayeux is a wonderful and very "walkable" smaller city, has some great restaurants and of course the famous Tapestry. Happy travels!

Posted by
9422 posts

Ken is right...and Bayeux is the best town in Normandy, imo. Love it. I know there's a hotel at Arromanche, right across from the beach, but it definitely isn't 3 star. You won't find queen beds in France - only twin or king (two twins pushed together).

Posted by
299 posts

Cheryl, Le Tardif. Great B&B in central Bayeux. We had a guide for a day of the sites - I would recommend you have a guide or a tour since it's hard to navigate as Americans over there. Plus, if you have the senior citizens you can get up close to things. Our guide had a small Mercedes mini=bus and there were only five of us. Have fun!

Posted by
9422 posts

Our first 4 trips to Normandy we toured on our own and found it to be extremely easy. The people of Normandy love Americans and could not be nicer or more helpful. The roads are very easy to drive and navigate - just make sure you have a good map....Our fifth trip we took a one day Battlebus Tour and thought it was good, but still enjoy going on our own as well...If you want a private guide to enhance your visit, that's one thing, but you definitely can do it very easily on your own....Also, I recommend the WWII museum in Bayeux, it was the best one of all in our opinion.

Posted by
299 posts

Cheryl, Ooops, forgot to mention that our rooms at Le Tardif were on the ground floor - with doors opening into a little garden area where we could enjoy some greenery and quiet. One of our two rooms had a queen bed I believe. I think it would be a senior friendly option - they may appreciate a few moments of tranquility after a day of sightseeing. Also, please know that there are quite a few stairs at Omaha Beach to get down onto the beach itself (at least at the point we entered it.) I did see another tour group with senior citizens who left a group at the top. I say this not knowing if perhaps it is very important to your party to actually get down onto the beach. It may be something to ask a tour guide or tour company about before you book. You will love Normandy!

Posted by
143 posts

Try the bed and breadfast Aggarthi in Bayeux. Just plug that name into Google to find the website.