Please sign in to post.

Normandy

I am planning a trip to Normandy in August with my parents. We will have three nights. We plan on taking a train from Bruges and renting a car once we arrive. We would like to visit Mont St. Michel, Bayeux, Honfleur, and if time D-Day beaches. Any suggestions on which town to stay in? Or other thoughts?

Posted by
32213 posts

Tegan, I'd suggest staying in Bayeux, as it makes a great "home base" location for touring that area. There's a good WW-II Museum there and of course the famous Bayeux Tapestry. As you're planning to visit D-Day sites, I would highly recommend taking one of the excellent local tours. Some of the tour companies offer half-day Itineraries, which would provide a good overview. I've found that the tours provide a much more interesting and rewarding view of the history there. Happy travels!

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks Ken! Do you have any recommendations of places to stay in Bayeux?

Posted by
128 posts

Tegan, We stayed at the Hotel Churchill. It is an easy walk to the tapestry, the cathedral, all kinds of shops and restaurants. The tour groups meet up in the plaza that is literally outside their back door. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are lovely. Since you will have a car and are driving to Mont St. Michel, I would recommend spending the night on the mont. It is absolutely magical after dark, when all the crowds have left. Get there after 4:00, roam around the ramparts, have dinner, roam the ramparts after dark, visit the abbey in the morning (before the crowds come back) and head out. It was the favorite part of our trip to France.

Posted by
24 posts

Hi Tegan
We just got back form our Normandy trip. We rented a car in Brussels and drove, (long trip). We stayed in Bayeaux at Hotel d'Argouges. $186 night but includes a decent breakfast. Also visit the tapestry in Bayeaux. The Normady beaches will take an entire day. We used Rick Steves as our guide, downloaded info from his site. we did not use a tour guide and visited the American cemetary and new visitors center. very well done. Standing on Omaha beach is a moving experience. We did not use a tour guide but they are hgighly recommended. We did not get to Mont St Michelle due to a flat tire. Regrettably. Make sure you can understand the road signs, and get GPS in your car. We had neither and it proved difficult to navigate, with a lot of missed roads etc.

Posted by
8700 posts

To avoid having to go via Paris, take the train from Bruges to Lille and pick up your rental car there.

Posted by
24 posts

We loved charming Honfleur. It seemed to be created for some Hollywood flick, but is absolutely authentic in every respect. The Impressionists loved it and it helped them focus on the outdoors. Speaking of Impressionists, if you're interested in Monet, Reims cathedral and Giverny are within driving distance. Cary T., Brea, CA

Posted by
515 posts

Hey Tegan! I just got back from Europe actually about an hour ago and loved Normandy. My parents and I took a train from Paris to Caen and then rented an car and drove to Omaha Beach, The American Cemetery, Pont Du Hoc. Took a whole day. Make sure you bring tissues to the cementery.

Posted by
1510 posts

If you chose to stay in Bayeux, check Le Tardif Nobel Guest House. It's an 18th century mansion with beautiful gardens and free parking on site. You can read the reviews on booking.com. The hotel is walking distance to the Tapestry and the Cathedral.

Posted by
79 posts

Hi Tegan, You will love Normandy. We stayed in Bayeux at a charming little B&B just across from the market square called Hotel de Sainte Croix. Would happily stay there again. We also hired a private guide to the Normandy sites (our daughter was only 8 and most of the tours were for 12+) who was excellent - Stuart Robertson of Normandy Battle Tours. Both of these were RS recommendations. Both the Bayeux Tapestry and WWII Museum in Bayeux are must sees. I would also make a stop in St. Marie Egliese - great little Air Museum there.
Enjoy!

Posted by
208 posts

You would love staying in Bayeux and if you don't do a tour (Battlebus) is the best, you just won't get the info you need to understand what went on there. If you have any interest in WWII history at all, do the tour with Battlebus. They have several to choose from. All of Normandy is a wonderful place to visit. Staying that long, I do suggest a hotel rather than a B&B. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
32213 posts

@Tony, Just to clarify..... "you don't do a tour (Battlebus) is the best, you just won't get the info you need to understand what went on there. If you have any interest in WWII history at all, do the tour with Battlebus. They have several to choose from." BattleBus did provide excellent tours, but they're no longer operating under that name. The owners (Paul & Myriam) have changed the structure of the company, and they're now operating as www.ddayhistorian.com (on a somewhat smaller scale). Some of the previous BattleBus guides are now operating their own tour companies (ie: www.daleboothnormandytours.com) and some are working for other tour firms in the area. Cheers!

Posted by
515 posts

We spent 4 nights in the lovely and central Bayeux at Hotel Churchill, and three days touring with Paul of Battlebus, but now he is ddayhistorian tours. https://www.facebook.com/DDayHistorian Here is his facebook page, which will give you a great idea of what he does. There are photos from him and others to give you an idea of how wonderful an experience you will have there. Having a tour guide with such knowledge is priceless. Highly recommend.