Please sign in to post.

New Years in Paris

I will be in Paris with a group of 6 people and we will be there for New Year's Eve. Can anyone offer any tips on where to be at midnight? We have contemplated everything from a restaurant to the Eiffel Tower. Also, are retail shops generally open on NYE and New Year's Day? Thanks!

Posted by
251 posts

(Keep in mind my knowledge is 6 years old)

The only people you will find at the Eiffel Tower are the tourists looking for the action. The Champs Elysees is where it is at. ALL of Paris it seems is partying up and down the big avenue, drinking champagne, and throwing the bottles (no it is not dangerous). That night the shops along the way are open but expect long long long lines. Also, remember the countdown is not as organized (or as big of a thing) as in the U.S. Everyone one just sort of does it on their own.

The last few times I just had a quiet meal at my flat with friends then went out for the night. Watch yourself on the metro and streets, more than normal.

Places are typically closed on NY Day, except restaurants and some museums. If you want to see the longest line in the world go to the Louvre. It's free on NYD. Once it opens the line moves real fast.

Have fun.