Please sign in to post.

New Year's in Paris

Hi, My boyfriend and I will be spending New Year's in Paris (arrive on the 29th and leave on Jan 3rd.) I've already been to Paris but my boyfriend hasn't, so we're good to go as far as planning what we're going to see and do. BUT, does anyone have any suggestions for a nice restaurant - not terribly expensive - where we could have dinner on New Year's Eve? We are not looking to really plan anything for midnight (like a club or a bar) other than maybe go near to the Eiffel Tower, but we're from New York and hate the whole crowded Times Square-thing at home so we'll have to wing it. But we do know that we'd like to have a nice dinner. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted by
893 posts

You're in luck - there's no big crowd thing going on in Paris for New Year's Eve. No fireworks, either. Most restaurants will have a special (expensive) menu and you'll need to make a reservation ahead of time. The better news is that real champagne isn't that expensive here (as compared to the US prices) and you can ring in 2013 with a bottle of bubbly in your hotel room for a low-key, low-cost experience.

Posted by
380 posts

Hi, Kara As the time gets closer, go to parisbymouth.com. They will have a list of restaurants by price for New Year's Eve. Enjoy.

Posted by
380 posts

parisbymouth.com now has the list of restaurants open for Christmas and New Year's Eve on their website.

Posted by
9719 posts

Hi Kara unfortunately most restaurants charge a premium for dinner on Mew Year's Eve, making it one of the worst dining nights for the year for value-for-money. I wish I had a magic suggestion or some better news, but wherever you go, you're probably in for sticker shock (and yes you should reserve ahead, and yes Paris by Mouth is a good resource). Good luck!

Posted by
1337 posts

Make SURE you make reservations. We didn't (we were dumb college students) and ended up eating at a place that served fruit cocktail for dessert.It was worth the laughs, however. ALSO...many public toilets close on New Year's Eve and some bridges near the Eiffel Tower. Keep that in mind when you're out and about.

Posted by
40 posts

Thanks so much, everyone! I think we will look into having our special and nice dinner on the 30th or even our first or last night in Paris rather than try to find something on NYE. We are pretty low-key and really don't want to waste money on a so-so dinner on New Year's. Does anyone have any general restaurant recommendations? My boyfriend is a major foodie (I am a vegetarian but I can always find something on a menu, so I don't like to get in anyone's way of enjoying food!!) Thanks again!!!

Posted by
1337 posts

Kara,
Let us know your budget and what part of the city you'd like to dine in.

Posted by
40 posts

Our budget would probably be around 200-300 USD, maybe a bit more (probably a bit more since my boyfriend is such a foodie and wants to indulge in French food as much as possible, haha.) As for a part of the city, it does not really matter to us. I have already been to Paris twice, but he hasn't so we're going to be seeing everything. We are very much go-with-the-flow types of people anyway! Thanks again!