Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau

How much time does it take to get from the train station and back,seeing both castles?We are trying to get the correct entry time. We are training from Munich and we are staying over in Fussen, so we have the choice of early afternoon or early morning.We then leave for Salzburg.

Posted by
987 posts

If you are spending the night in Fussen before the castles, and then going to Salzburg after without spending another night in Fussen, I would choose the morning time. The whole visit took about half a day for me. We left Fussen around 9 and got back in the early afternoon. I would plan this early time especially if you are traveling by train, since the trip to Salzburg is several hours.

Posted by
50 posts

I hope your train for Salzburg is late. It is a good hour + walk to Neuschwanstein, and that includes taking the bus part way. Figure two hours without the bus to allow time to see the courtyard and outside of the castle before your tour. You must be there early or your scheduled tour will leave without you. Time at the gift shop plus walking back down to Hohenschwangau is another hour and a half. There is a ticket that allows you to see both castles but only gives you an hour between, I don't know how feasable it really is. You will be running all day. I loved the my day trip to Fussen, and I wish I had stayed there rather than Munich to allow for more time.

Posted by
719 posts

My wife (3 months pregnant at the time) and I walked up from the ticket kiosk to Neuschwanstein in about 30 minutes or so. We were passing a lot of people on the way up, but the walk isn't too terribly difficult for a few 30 somethings (don't know your age/fitness level). I would think that 45 minutes or so would be safe to assume.

Posted by
4637 posts

It's about 45 minutes plus minus walk uphill to the castle from the village below (I think Schwangau). But you can take a shuttle bus almost all the way to the castle Neuschwanstein. I did not have time for Hohenschwangau so I don't know if there is a shuttle bus there.

Posted by
19099 posts

"It is a good hour + walk to Neuschwanstein" Walking from where, Füssen? I've walked to Neuschwanstein from Hotel Müller (just yards from the ticket kiosk, and I think I did it in 30-40 minutes, and I was almost 58 at the time. The other castle, Hohenschwangau (named for the village at the base), is a short (10 minutes, maybe) walk up a trail behind Müller. The horse carts that leave from in front of Müller go to just below the castle on the same road you walk. The shuttle bus lets you off on a different road, above Marienbrücke, where you walk down a trail to the castle. Up_date: Google maps gives the distance from Hotel Müller to Neuschwanstein Castle as 1.4 km (7/8 mile) and the time as 18 minutes, but it is uphill, so it might take a little longer.

Posted by
80 posts

The busses to Schwangau are right at the train station-the ride is very short 10-15 min-also taxis are there that will take you for 10Eto get from the ticket center to Neuschawanstein you can take the shuttle bus and walk back down-allowing time for a quick visit to Mary's bridge. Hohenschwangua can either be reached by path-15 min uphill-or carriage. The bus ride back to the station is from just below the ticket center but not sure of the frequency as we walked back to Fussen hope this helps
Paul