Please sign in to post.

Need to buy a 2010 Paris book?

I have the 2009 book from my visit last summer and was wondering if there have been enough changes to need to buy the 2010 book. Our apartment is rented (thru VacationInParis.com), so we don't need housing info. I'll be updating my museum hours/etc. info by checking the Museum Pass Website. So - would it be worth it to buy a 2010 Paris book (the 2011 version will be out too late for my upcoming trip)? Thanks for any comments/help.

Posted by
335 posts

I'm going Sept. 20-28 and the Paris 2011 won't be out until Sept. 14 (too late for me to read the whole thing before I leave). So it's either buy 2010 or just use my 2009 version. But thanks for the response.

Posted by
693 posts

I'd just do what you're doing - check with the museums, etc. Also, check the updates to the books on this website. There is a section called Plan your Trip that tells you what's new since the books were published, as you probably know. Our library has the books, maybe yours does, too. You could check in your older book what you're interested in and perhaps look at those sections in the newer book at Borders to see if there have been material changes.

Posted by
689 posts

You'll be fine without it. We go most years and I don't always bring a current guide. I do make sure I have current hours of museums, etc, that I want to visit, and there's a guidebook update section of this website that you can also look at.

Posted by
313 posts

We've been caught in that in-between stage of publications and learned that if you have a fairly recent book you'll be okay for the most part. Since you don't need hotel recommendations, it will mostly be restaurant and museum/site updates. Even with the most recent book you need to check the ETBD web-site or the museum websites to check on closures/remodeling, etc.

Posted by
23562 posts

We have used guidebooks as much as three years out of date. About the only thing that really changes is prices. Even a "new" guidebook is at least six months or more out of date. The historical sites, walking tours, etc. do not change just the lodging and restaurants get change some. I would have no problems going with a 2009 book.

Posted by
16068 posts

Holly...head on over to either Barnes & Noble or Borders, grab a copy of the 2010 book, buy a cup of coffee, sit down and check for any major changes.

Then, on this website, Rick lists updates to his books. See if anything of value to you has changed.

No need to buy the book.

Posted by
719 posts

While the small cost of a book is usually worth it to make sure that your Eurotrip goes off without a hitch (or fewer of them, anyway), You could probably make do without it. Lodging is the one that concerns me most, and you've got that taken care of. Check ETBD for updates on your guide and have fun!

Posted by
115 posts

I got a copy of a year before on Amazon.com for half price and it proved to be excellent for both Paris and Germany.

Posted by
1850 posts

Why not buy a new guide book from some other publisher? That way you would get a different perspective on Paris and maybe discover some new sights you might enjoy.