Please sign in to post.

Museumsufer Fest in Frankfurt 28-30 Aug. 2009

If anyone is going to be in the Rhine-Main area this coming weekend, this is a fest that you might really enjoy. The entire river bank on both sides of the river is covered with 500 stands selling everything from artwork, handmade crafts, ethnic items, jewellery, pottery, and of course all kinds of food and drink from all around the world, and also 20 stages, many with live music of all different sorts. Dragon boat races will be going on all day Sat. and Sun. Fireworks are on Sun. night. Many of the downtown churches will be having Organ concerts on Sat. night and Choir concerts on Sun. night.

For 4 euro, you buy a button and this gets you into 20 different musuems, most of them on the riverbank, but also includes the Archeology Museum (where some Roman soldiers will be hanging about), the Museum of Modern Art, the Schirn, the Goethe House, the Dom Museum and the Judengasse Museum. All of the museums will be having special tours and workshops.

This fest has become one of the Premier Events in Germany with over 3 million visitors these past 2 years. Because it is spread out along 4 km. of riverbank on each side of the river, one is still able to see things and enjoy the party without being crushed. The garden areas behind the museums are also lovely areas to sit in. Many of the museums are old villas and quite pretty.

China is the featured country this year, so expect good fireworks and some good shows. They are supposed to be having "Day fireworks" too, but have no idea what those are.

Here is the website. Though in German, click on Program, and you will get a list of scheduled events at each museum and each stage through the weekend, as well as the church concerts.

Hope to see you there, and if you need tips about what to see, let me know. Can you tell that I love this Fest?

www.museumsuferfest-frankfurt.de or
www.frankfurt-tourismus.de

Posted by
416 posts

Wish I were there. It sounds like a wonderful event.

Posted by
8956 posts

It is fun. I am exhausted after walking around all day and evening!

I finally got to see these really old frescos that they have been restoring and cleaning for a long time. They are in the City Archives which used to be a cloister built around 1270. The frescos were done in the early 1500's and are the largest wall paintings north of the alps. Something like 150 sq. meters. Seriously beautiful, so if you come to Frankfurt, make sure you go see them. Supposedly they will be open to the public from now on, but they aren't open on weekends. Odd.

Anyway, if you missed this fest this year, there is always next year. Last weekend in August every year. On Wed. starts our 2 week wine festival too.

Posted by
2779 posts

Ooh, they have a new Weissbier, the Schöfferhofer Ice Weizen which they sell for only €2 per half liter (a bit over a pint)...