Please sign in to post.

munich, vienna, venice, zurich, December 8-14, 2007

I need advice on what are the must see's in these cities, we have 2 days in each, except for Zurich and we only have a day. We already have reservations in these cities, should I have stayed outside the cities? What do you guys think? I have never been to europe. My husband and I are flying into Munich and will rent a car and fly out of Zurich. Should we have left Zurich out? Please help, any advise would be most appreciated. Thanks Dana

Posted by
473 posts

That's way too much to see in that short of a time. Remember that packing/unpacking, finding your hotel, going back to the train station, etc., all take time. Travelling between each of those cities will take at least half of a day, if not more. In addition to the previously mentioned time killers. I would suggest seeing just Munich and Vienna. Those 2 cities alone, plus maybe some some day trips from them, will easily absorb a week. Plus, you won't have to rent a car. It will be easy to go from Munich to Vienna by train. As to where to stay within a city, it's generally best to stay in or near where the touristy sights are. It costs a bit more, but the convenience more than makes up for it.

Posted by
28 posts

Driving to Venice over the mountains and then back over the Alps to Zurich in December might be asking for problems with the unpredictable December weather. I'd suggest not renting a car and saving Venice for another trip. Go by train to Vienna and then again to Zurich and you'll see some of the greatest scenery in Europe. Add a day to Vienna & Zurich.

Posted by
12040 posts

I agree with the other posters, that's far too much traveling in too little time. Since you probably can't change your flights, I'd cut out Vienna and Venice altogether and concentrate on Munich and Zurich, and perhaps points in between (Hohenschwangau, Lindau, etc).

Everyone probably has a different "must sees" for each destination (a curse on NBC for coining that phrase!). For me, the beer halls were a highlight in Munich, as was the Englischergarten (which may be less impressive in winter).