Please sign in to post.

Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna

We are planning a 3 week trip to Bavaria and Austria in June 2011. We want to cut back on our schlepping and stay one week in each area. We would take day trips by train to everything we could from base camp so to speak. Is it best to stay in Salzburg, Munich, and Vienna or, stay out in the countryside and ride the train into town. We are looking for less pricey but comfy accomodations where we could go to the markets and fix our own meals some of the times. Any ideas, suggestions, or advice? Thanks for all your great help. I love this helpline!

Posted by
19102 posts

If you want to fix some of your own meals, you need to look for a Ferienwohnung (vacation apartment). They'll usually have a sleep-in living room with a sofa-bed or one or two bedrooms with a sleep-in living room, plus a kitchen nook. A lot of them rent for a week which seems to be about right for you. If I were you, I would stay a little ways out of town, at least in the suburbs. (You'll be hard pressed to find a Ferienwohnung in the middle of town anyways.) In-town accommodations tend to be more pricey. Of course, from the suburbs transportation takes longer and costs more. However, in Munich for instance, you will almost certainly want an "Innenraum Partner Tageskarte" (day ticket for 2-5 people in the innerzone) for €9,40, regardless; a "Gesamtnetz (entire network) Tageskarte" will get you in from anywhere for only €18,80, 9,40 more.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks, for the help. I'm thinking that's the way to go. Will we need a car or can we see enough with trains and buses?

Posted by
19102 posts

In the towns, you'll do far better with public transportation. For Munich to Salzburg, you can do the trip in 2 hrs with a Bayern-Ticket (€28 for up to 5P), and hop on/off anywhere along the way (like Herrenchiemsee). When you are in Salzburg, there is a bus from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden Hbf. An RVO Tagesticket for €9 pP will cover Salzburg to Berchtesgaden RT plus use of all the buses in Berchtesgaden (ex. the special buses up to the Eagles' Nest). . . . . ¶ I'm not sure about Salzburg to Vienna. In Germany, trips of over 100 km must be finished by midnight the next day, so you could get off somewhere, look around, and catch the next train; I don't know if that's true of Austria. Ask. If so, you could make brief stops on the way.

Posted by
3 posts

Hello,We are going to Munich, Vienna and Saltzburg in November. I am using www.vrbo to book apartments at each city so that we do not have to eat out every meal. I have used vrbo several times before and have not been disappointed.Carolyn