Please sign in to post.

Munich parking

We are staying in Fussen and doing a day trip to Munich. Any advice on parking? Or is there a nearby town we should stop at and train in.? Thanks!

Posted by
19238 posts

For a €29 Bayern-Ticket, you (up to 5 people) can take the train from Füssen into Munich (after 9 AM workdays), ride any conveyances in Munich all day long, and come back out on the train that evening.

Posted by
20 posts

Do you know the website I can get that through? Or can I get that same price the day of travel?
Thank you so much. We would love to drink beer at the Hofbrau Haus, so a train back would be wonderful. : )

Posted by
7209 posts

That's an interesting question about the Bayern Ticket. We bought all of ours from the ticket machine in Munich. I'm interested in seeing where you would buy them in Füssen. Maybe the train station? The Bayern Ticket is a fantastic deal. Unfortunately there was a couple on our train from Munich to Füssen who both used an entire day of their Eurail Pass just to get from Munich to Füssen. On top of that they were going to run out of days before their final destination of Frankfurt so they had already bought a rather expensive point to point ticket for that last leg. I didn't have the heart to tell them they could have both traveled for only 29Euro from Munich to Füssen.

Posted by
19238 posts

There will be a ticket automat in the station at Füssen, probably of the older, regional type, with two columns of buttons. One near the bottom will be labeled "Bayern-Ticket". There might also be a button for Bayern-Regio; you don't want that one. When you press the button the screen will probably give you three options, 1) Bayern Ticket (that's what you want for 2-5 people), 2) Bayern-Ticket Single (1 person), 3) Bayern-Ticket Nacht (like a Bayern-Ticket, valid overight). After you the type of ticket, it will either give the the choice of 1) Heute (today), 2) Morgan (tomorrow) or 3) Andere (other date, next you'll get a calendar), or it will just go directly to a calendar. There is no price advantage to buying Bayern-Tickets in advance. They don't sell out and the price would be the same. If you want personal assistance, they sell them for €2 more at the ticket counter. There is a line on the back of the Bayern-Ticket labeled "Blockschrift". One member of the party must print their name and be with the ticket at all times. When the train comes into Munich Hbf, look for the large green circle 'S' (S-Bahn). The entrance is at the back left of the main shed area. Go down the stops and take any S-Bahn two stops to Marienplatz. There's a lot of neat stuff to see around Marienplatz and you will be close to the Hofbräuhaus.

Posted by
19238 posts

According to the station information for Füssen (www.stationsdatenbank.bayern-takt.de/StationsdatenbankBEG/Steckbrief.html?lang=de&efz=8002156), they have both the Bahn (Fernverkehr) and regional (Nahverkehr) automats. Given the choice I always use the regional automats for Bayern-Tickets (less button pushing, although the Bahn automats are better at displaying in English). I've noticed that most Germans prefer to use the Nahverkehr automats. I don't know if it's because they are simpler to use or because most Fernverkehr automats don't take cash. BTW, when using the machines, do all of your button pushing first. Only after you've selekted a ticket and the machine has given you the price will it accept payment. Beilstein does not have a train station.

Posted by
12313 posts

As long as you avoid the daily commuter rush (on both train and autobahn), you can get in and out of Munich easily. By car follow the signs toward the center. When you get close follow the parking signs. There is a giant underground garage. When you come up the stairs, you will be in Marienplatz. I love training around this area but I don't think it's nearly as convenient for a daytrip as driving.