Please sign in to post.

Munich, Lodging

We will be in Munich for 2 nights in July. Would you recommend a hotel in the Old Center or near the train station? Rick's book says "it feels seedy after dark" near the train station so that causes concern for me. Any hotel recommendations?

Posted by
7209 posts

Old Center is much more interesting and much more of what the tourists come to see. Train Station is just that...lot of transients, not pretty, gritty, seedy. High End Old Center Hotels: Platzl, Torbrau
More Affordable: Am Viktualienmarkt, Munchner-Kindl, Blauer Bock

Posted by
191 posts

Depends on what train station. Marienplatz is a nice area (old town). I stayed at Platzl Hotel and it was very nice and close to the station.

Posted by
59 posts

That's a good question. We will be arriving by train from Salzburg.

Posted by
1479 posts

There are more places in Munich than near the station or near Marienplatz. I try to balance convenience and costs. First, we buy a Partner day ticket so we can travel at will on the city's good transportation system. There are frequent connections to many parts of the city with public transport. So, I choose to stay near UBahn or Sbahn stations. The last two visits we have stayed at the Hotel Bristol, which is located directly at the Sendlinger Tor Ubahn station. It is less than 10 minutes by foot to the Marienplatz (Old Center) or a ~2 minute Ubahn ride. It is a few stops and maybe a transfer from anyplace else that we wished to visit. BTW at that same location is the Motel One Sendlinger Tor which gets pretty good reviews.

Posted by
731 posts

Check out Pension Lindner. It's about a 5 minute walk from Marienplatz - so right in the heart of the old town. Rick Steves recommends it and it has good reviews on TripAdvisor. The price is 75-100 euro depending on if you want a private shower/bath.

Posted by
14499 posts

Hi, I stay in a Pension in the train station area in Munich. "...seedy after dark" cannot be worse than Houston. Numerous hotels depending on your budget, some pricey ones too, are right outside the station on Bayerstrasse, and within a block or two even more. You don't have any cause for concern.

Posted by
32198 posts

Lisa, I stayed in the area near the train station at Hotel Royal last September, and although the area was a bit "colourful", I didn't mind it at all. Construction work was in progress on the street and there were some "adult clubs", but none of that bothers me. At no time did I feel unsafe. The most important thing is that the hotel was really nice and I had a great time. They served a fantastic breakfast! Happy travels!

Posted by
7209 posts

OK - seems to be confusion about the definition of Munich Train Station. Marienplatz is NOT the train station, yes there is a Ubahn/Sbahn station there. But that's the metro station, not "The Train Station".

Posted by
1157 posts

CHeck out the Hotel Uhland. It is in a residential area of Munich just a very short hop from the train station (two bus stops). It is lovely, with tree lined streets, and walking distance to a lot of sites, including the train station (we preferred hopping on bus 58 for the quick trip luggage and all.

Posted by
50 posts

If it has availabilities, Hotel Am Viktualienmarkt is in a great location in old town and cheap. Small rooms. There's a good option about a 5-10 minute walk from train station (toward the old town and in a better area)--the MotelOne at Sendlinger Tor. Walkable to both Marienplatz and bahnhof, and right by U-bahn stop.

Posted by
68 posts

Lisa, We've stayed at the Hotel Monoco a few times, interesting place near the train station, and I believe it is mentioned in RS guides. Check out the Senefelder too, also near the train station. J&D

Posted by
19092 posts

If you are coming in from Salzburg on any train other than a RailJet, you will stop first at Ostbahnhof (East Station). There are a number of hotels nearby, including a Marriot Courtyard. (I don't stay in big chains - not worth the price - but some people do.) From Ostbahnhof, you can get on any S-Bahn for a short ride to Marienplatz. From there it is a short walk to am Viktualienmarkt, Blauer Bock, or Münchner Kindl. If you are staying at Royal or Uhland, go on to the Hauptbahnhof.