Please sign in to post.

Munich lodging

Can anyone recommend a good clean (quiet!) hotel/gastehaus in Munich for two seniors. The online listings are overwhelming and the reviews on trip advisor vary so much that it is hard to assess what the place is really like. We are arriving by train to the Hauptbahnhof and would like to stay near there or with easy access to the center. We'll be there for 5 days - not looking for luxury accomodation.

Posted by
19240 posts

I can't help you with personal experience because I have a favorite place in the suburb where I've stayed every time I've been to Munich for over twenty years. It's quiet (except for church bells, the price is good for Munich, but they only speak German, so I can't recommend them. However, I have three places near Marienplatz on my website (bottom of page). They've all been recommended by people here. Uhland also comes highly recommended but might not fit your price criterium. Marienplatz is really the city center and is only 3 min by S-Bahn from the Hbf. If you purchase an "Innenraum Partner Tageskarte" for €9,80, it will cover all of your travel on all conveyances of the MVV in the inner part of Munich for an entire day, for up to 5 people. That includes Deutsches Museum to Schloss Nymphenburg to the Pinokotheken (art museums). If you go to Dachau, you will need a Munich XXL Partner Tageskarte, which is a day pass for the Innenraum plus the next zone which includes Dachau. The XXL Tageskarte will cover your S-Bahn travel between downtown and Dachau Bahnhof as well as the RT bus to the Memorial.

Posted by
380 posts

Peter, I can recommend Hotel Europaischer, which is directly across the street from the Hauptbahhof. Its a nice, clean hotel, very nice employees, the breakfast is excellent and worth the slight increase in price if you get it included in your room and you can book a good time in advance and get 20% off if you pay in full. The rooms facing the street are not noisy unless you of course have the window open, which we only did once because it was August (I remember that you can rent fans for like 1 euro per day if its warm). It wasn't noisy all night though. Otherwise ask for a room facing the courtyard or towards the back. They did have an elevator so if stairs are an issue you won't have a problem. We'll actually be back there in about 2 weeks and will always try to stay here on our trips to Munich. Their website is www.heh.de. Look for the British flag in the upper right corner to change it to English. Karen

Posted by
174 posts

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Am Markt near the Viktualienmarkt a few years ago...it was a clean, budget accomodation in a wonderful location! Reviews on trip advisor are all over the board with this hotel...we found the location excellent and beds comfortable, but it's not luxurious. We don't remember it being noisy, but I always carry earplugs with me just in case!

Posted by
32325 posts

Peter, I really like Hotel Uhland in Munich. It's located in a quiet residential area, about a 12-minute walk from the HBf. The rooms are very comfortable, the staff are wonderful and the breakfasts are fantastic! Happy travels!

Posted by
18 posts

My son and I stayed at Hotel Uhland in 2009 and enjoyed our stay. It was a bit outside the hubbub of Munich, but nice and quiet and the staff was very nice. Great little cafe within walking distance, my son still raves about the salad and dressing he had! Enjoy!

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks to all replies - especially Lee. We have just booked at Hotel Uhland with much confidence.