Please sign in to post.

Munich itinerary help

Hello--Will be traveling to Munich April 2013 and have 8 nights. If we plan to spend 3 nights in Munich, wondering whether it would be better to visit Austria (and return home via Munich) or Switzerland (and see about flying home via Zurich). Not planning on renting a car and want to make best use of our limited time. Thanks!

Posted by
591 posts

Depends on what you want to see the most after Munich. If Salzburg is high on your list, you could stay there a couple of nights and then go on to see Vienna and fly home from there. If Switzerland has more of a draw for you then Zurich would work. Munich is a great base for day trips to many different places, so a round trip Munich is also good. So many choices, so little time : )

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks Tim another option that was suggested is Prague. It appears to be 6 hours via train from Munich but I can get a flight home from there for about the same price. So, I guess I am now taking a poll if you had 5 nights, would you: 1-stay in Muncih and day trip 2-spend some nights in Salzburg and other nearby sites in Austria
3-spend a day on the train and several nights in Prague All opinions, ideas, thoughts, gratefully accepted!

Posted by
12172 posts

I'd hate to miss Salzburg - IMO one of the most beautiful little cities anywhere. I haven't tried to get from Salzburg up to Prague, if that's workable maybe you can keep one night in Salzburg as part of your itinerary.

Posted by
19117 posts

It would be a shame to go to Salzburg and not spend some time in nearby Berchtesgaden. In fact, if I were doing it, I'd base in Berchtesgaden for a few days and make a day trip to Salzburg.

Posted by
27 posts

Christine, I agree with Lee. Last summer I stayed in Bertesgaden for 4 days an thoroughly enjoyed all the days. It is such beautiful country. The bus to Salzsburg only takes about 30 minutes and is easy to catch. Let me know if you need a B&B to stay @. I have a place to recommend.