Please sign in to post.

Munich Car Rental

My husband and I will have three days in Munich and are considering renting a car for one day in order to see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles. Do you think it would be possible with a rental car to visit Dachau in the morning and then drive South to see the castles or would I be trying to fit too much into one day?

Posted by
354 posts

It is approximately 1 hour's drive Munich to Dachau; about 2 hour's drive Dachau to Fuessen; and close to 2 hour's drive Fuessen back to Munich. When you subtract drive time out of your day, as well as parking, meals, and returning the car, you end up with a much shorter amount of time to site-see. You would have to decide if the available amount of time fits your travel style.

If you wanted to fill up your "castle" day, you could add a walk to the Marienbrucke (bridge) for great views, or maybe visit Fuessen itself. Dachau is accessible from Munich by S-Bahn/bus.

Posted by
2779 posts

It's doable in one day but it will be a pretty stressfull day. Also consider that if it's a weekday thousands of people will want to leave Munich in the afternoon as well for their homes alongside the mountains... I don't want to vote for or against a rental cars vs. public transportation but the latter one is so easily available in Germany and in Southern Bavaria... it might just be the easiest and least expensive thing to do. By the way, you realize a liter (!) of regular gas is €1.25 in Germany at the moment? There are 3.78 liters in one gallon and there are 1.4 dollars in a Euro or so (check with xe.com)...

Posted by
694 posts

I think it is too much, also the guided tour at Dachau is at 130pm and it is good. The castles, will take more then half a day, with the walk up and travel time. I suggest to take public transport also, don't forget to reserve your castles tickets in advance if it is high season. Have fun!

Posted by
1297 posts

I travel faster than most on these boards and this one has caused me pause. However, after thinking it over and reading my journals from past trips, I think it is doable. Be at Dachau when it opens. (this may be hard depending on when you can pick up your rental. That could be an issue) Spend a couple of hours. Head to the castle area. Have reservations for your number one choice made in advance for the late afternoon. Then see what time you get there and decide if you can fit in the second castle. I personally think a better option would be to do Dachau another day and use the car to get to the castles but...it is your trip. There are public transportation and guided tours to Dachau so you don't have to have a car to see it.

Posted by
31 posts

I have been to both of these sites and if you have a few days to work with I would split them up. We spent a good 3 hrs + at Dachau and more than a half day at the castles and we only saw Neuschwanstein. I highly recommend taking the back way down from Neuschwanstein. You will walk down a trail and steps but you will see amazing waterfalls and areas where you can walk in the water. Its gorgeous!! (pun intended). It is one of the highlights of our trip. It is a much better walk that the main road up to the castle. Look for the signs by the bridge. Make sure you go up and walk across the bridge if your nerves can take it. I am good with heights but that is pretty intense. We had a rental car for the castles in Fussen and then stayed in Austria that night, only a few minutes away. There is also an alpine slide not too far from the castles. You will pass right by it if you are coming from Munich.

Enjoy, you will love it.

Posted by
31 posts

Sorry, I forgot to mention. You dont need a car to get to Dachau. Just take the train to the main station and take the bus. Just follow the crowd. You will know who is going there. The bus drops you off about a half block from the entrance. Save the car for the castles, the drive there is beautiful.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much for the advice! It is always helpful to bounce ideas off of other people!

Posted by
19233 posts

By the way, you can get information (hours, tour times, cost, etc) about the Dachau memorial here.

Posted by
40 posts

We did this feat in June. We stayed at the Kings Hotel in Munich and rented the car from Sixt at the train station (about a block away). The rental car garage is about half way between the hotel and station.

Dachau is a relatively short drive from Munich and although I love to drive in Europe and am good with a map - we got off track several times. In any event, after getting off track the last time we decided to head for the Castle instead and then loop back to Dachau in the afternoon. We were able to do both but as someone mentioned earlier it was a tad rushed and I would have liked to have split them up and spend twice the time at each. It was easier for us to find Dachau on the way back in to Munich.

Having the choice to do things over and knowing what I know now - do both - I would have regretted missing one or the other. BTW, make sure Dachau is open the day you plan to go.