Please sign in to post.

Munich

I booked flights and tour to Europe and want to spend 3 days in Munich - Can anyone recommend a 2 to 3 star hotel that would be safe for a mature, single female to stay.

Posted by
32212 posts

Wendy, I also stayed at Hotel Uhland, and would certainly recommend it. One fond memory is the breakfasts they provide (wonderful!), and visiting with other travellers at breakfast!

There is no restaurant in the Hotel (except for breakfast), but there are some good restaurants within easy walking distance. The main station is within walking distance as well.

Happy travels!

Posted by
19099 posts

Wendy, I know of a great hotel on the outskirts of Munich. It's in a good neighborhood, and you'll pay a lot less than at Uhland, but it's a 25 minute S-bahn ride into Marienplatz. Also, I've been there five time (I like it) but I have never heard a word of English. I asked them in October if they would accept non-German speaking guests and they said, "that would be bad".

So, if you can speak German, email me and I will give you a contact.

Posted by
19099 posts

BTW, I walked by Hotel Uhland on my way to Oktoberfest in October, and it looks like it is a nice hotel in a nice neighborhood. Just a little pricey.

Posted by
32212 posts

Lee, I can't recall what I paid at Hotel Uhland, but I didn't have the impression that it was pricey? With the location and the facilities that were provided (and of course the great breakfasts), it seemed quite reasonable. I only require a single room, so maybe that's a factor?

Cheers!

Posted by
345 posts

The last two years we have stayed at the Hotel Mark on Senefelderstraße, which is about a five minute walk from the main station. It is across from the Wombat Hostel, so an inner courtyard room would be better if visiting during the high season.

Double rooms are about 85 Euros including a good breakfast. There is free internet access in the lobby. The hotel is not fancy, but it is clean. Some feel the neighborhood is "iffy", but we never felt uncomfortable at all.

Posted by
7209 posts

Munich was a short 4 day trip for us, but it turned out to be one of our favorite cities. The first thing I would recommend is to avoid the hotels around the main train station and opt for a more desirable location around the Marienplatz...it's just so much nicer there. We stayed at the Hotel Platzl (highly recommended)and the Hotel Torbrau. There's also the Hotel Am Viktualienmarkt and Hotel Blauer Bock which are both located at the Viktualienmarkt (outdoor market square). The first 2 hotels are rather expensive, but the latter 2 are very affordable and very nice. All of these hotels have a wonderful location.

Yes, it's my personal opinion, but I also stayed at the Platzl for 4 nights then the last night I spent at the Marriott Courtyard at the main train station. From personal experience, the 2 locations were vastly different. If you have an option, choose the Marienplatz or the Viktualienmarkt location.

Posted by
277 posts

My family and friends, total of 23 stayed at the Hotel Ludwig opposite the train station. Great location, very nice tourist hotel. Read my reviews and others on tripadvisor.com.

Posted by
28 posts

Has anyone stayed at the Herzog-Wilhelm Hotel or the Tannenbaum Hotel? I am thinking of staying here and they are not listed in Rick's guidebook. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Posted by
1482 posts

Munich is a low-crime, safe city. We liked the Hotel Blauer Bock as it is close to the center of town and reasonable in price. The breakfast was good and the folks that run it are very nice. Their website is in German but they will answer emails or the phone in English. They have an elevator if that matters.

http://www.hotelblauerbock.de/preise.htm

Regards, Gary