Please sign in to post.

Morroco

We would like to visit Morocco for a day as outlined in RS book. That would mean Tanger...I would like to hear from others that have been there and find out what they did....did you do a tour with Aziz? on your own? Is this worth it ? Thanks Marianne

Posted by
123 posts

I'm so glad someone asked about Aziz's tour of Morocco. We went to Spain last fall and did the day trip to Tangiers. It's true there are folks lined up to try to get you to take THEIR tour as soon as you depart the ferry. We said we were meeting Aziz and it was like magic--everyone knows Aziz, treats him very well (and you by extension) and he appeared to have a great rapport with everyone he met along the way. He took us all over Tangiers from a drive along the coastline, seeing the King's villas, to the markets and ending up with a WONDERFUL lunch. I was quite concerned about eating/drinking in Tangiers, from earlier postings, but the food in the restaurant was excellent, the restaurant itself was the prettiest we saw on the whole trip to Spain and the waiters showed off by pouring tea while holding the pot as high in the air as possible. I felt totally safe with Aziz and he is such a wonderful ambassador for his country. He's personable, funny, outgoing, kind. I had told him ahead of time what we wanted to see, but unfortunately it must have slipped his mind that we did not want to go to the carpet shop nor ride camels. We were polite in the carpet shop and kept repeating that we did not want to purchase one and when I finally got up to leave, Aziz appeared again and took us to lunch. I wish we had had time to see the herb markets, but we ran out of time (too long in the carpet shop). The whole day turned out to be one of our better days, although I had worried about going to Tangiers for months ahead of time. Aziz is the reason the day turned out so well. Oh, Aziz also took us to the head of the line at passport control for getting back on the ferry, which saved us quite a bit of time. Like I said, everyone knows Aziz and seems to admire him. He's a great guy! However, having said all this, I would not attempt touring Tangiers without a guide--preferably Aziz. It's not the USA. It was definitely worth the time and money to visit Tangiers.

Posted by
2023 posts

Deborah--I enjoyed reading your comments on your Morroco experience. We are considering adding Morroco to our Spain trip next spring. We want to see Marrakesh also. Interesting about the guide--being hassled by rug dealers would absolutely not appeal to me but the camel ride is something I would do. My main question is regarding vaccinations for going to Morroco. Are they necessary for this part of Africa?

Posted by
10344 posts

Susan: You asked about vaccinations, none are required (see my separate post below).

But here's a post relating to staying healthy and what not to do in Morocco

go to this post, see Nate's posts on the e. coli he got in Morocco and Rick's advice on staying healthy in Morocco

Posted by
10344 posts

Susan: Here's a link to the US State Dept entry requirements info for Morocco, it says no vaccinations are required (but you may choose to discuss with your qualified health professional to get their advice on what is recommended though not required).

There's other info on the State Dept link that you may find of interest

Morocco entry/exit info

Posted by
123 posts

I was not impressed with how the camel ride was set up. remember when we were young and there would be a pony at the fair or circus? there would be about 5 ponies tied to a pole and they would walk around the pole, plodding along. well, imagine stopping by the side of the road, seeing 5 tired, dusty camels sitting and/or sleeping. There's a guy with a pole to prod the camels into getting up. It was not at all enticing. As for going to marrekash, here's my ignorance--is that in Morocco? I would not travel on my own, but you can hook up with tours that do go around Morocco. I highly recommend Aziz. He is willing to do as long of a tour as you want, so if you stay overnight, you can see a lot more of Tangiers and go to nearby areas. Not only is he a tour guide, but he is also an attorney. He was educated in Spain and speaks perfect English.

Posted by
2023 posts

Thank you for that information Kent. That sounds like animal abuse with the poor camels. Unless I find a better situation for a camel ride I would have to pass on it--that is really sad. Good news though on the vaccines not being required for Morroco.