Please sign in to post.

Mont.St. Michel

Has anyone been to Mont St. Michel lately. How is it driving to the Mont. Are there delays with the new construction?

Posted by
127 posts

We were there on a Sunday in April before they switched to the new parking lot. There were no delays.

Posted by
80 posts

We were there in Maythey had switched to the new parking lot-you could walk across the causeway or take a free shuttle bus across-it was about a 1/4 mile walk from the lot to the shuttle bus stoptraffic was not bad as you are routed to the parking lot way before the causeway construction a word of cautionwhen leaving the parking lot you must pay with a credit cardno manned boothjust the gates and machines Paul

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you Paula. Have a great trip and let us know how you make out. Thanks Paul for your advice. We visited Mont St. Michel in 2008. We stayed overnight. It was exceptional experience that I will never forget. If we visit in August I hope it is just as wondrful.

Posted by
45 posts

We have an upcoming trip. Were there any options to pay your way out of the parking lot if you do not have a credit card with a chip?

Posted by
7304 posts

Although the machine transaction speed was slow, I used my American "swipe" VISA card in the M.S.M. 8.50 euro per day machine just fine. You the card, out of sight, like older ATM machines. No paper receipt offered. Operated by the US garbage-collection giant Veolia. Parking payment machines about 10 meters from the (new) parking area toilets. This is about 1000 meters from the shuttle bus area, which is 1800 meters from the island.

Posted by
7304 posts

Roy, I answered Diane's question, but I'm embarrased to say that I didn't notice the answer to your, later posted question. I wanted to try a non-Chip and PIN card myself. I would note that Paris Metro machines don't take PAPER money, which is inconvenient. And a worse problem is that the machines are hard to find. The URL mentioned later in this post suggests that the exit-gate machines also take credit cards but not cash. But if everybody does it that way there will be honking and fistfights! Please, please pay before starting your car. However, the Veolia folks say that your (Roy) answer, the on-foot machines BY THE TOILETS, is yes. See the bottom of this page: http://www.accueilmontsaintmichel.com/site/en/services-and-rates/rates

Posted by
7304 posts

Two really important new websites for anyone going to MSM by any means of travel: http://www.normandie-tourisme.fr/docs/5110-2-5volets-veolia-transport-mstm-uk-pdf.pdf http://www.accueilmontsaintmichel.fr/change/en Both of these are in English. The first is a .pdf (with an accurate schematic map) that may be slow to load. To the OP: Note that for the last 500 meters you have to abandon your GPS instructions because the roads are all-new. Follow the signs with blue CAR logos on them, and not the blue BUS logos. Pay for parking before returning to your car. BTW, the exit gates say thar the first 30 minutes are free, a question I read elsewhere.

Posted by
1064 posts

Don't the machines at the parking lot exit take cash?

Posted by
19 posts

How is it for bike riding? We're staying at a B&B that offers bike rentals, about 5km away. Is there a path or do people just take the road?

Posted by
45 posts

Tim, GREAT info and websites. I've been scourring them all. It looks like if you don't have a chip and pin card then the most options are given to you to pay in the TI center. BTW, is an EMV credit card mean the swipe ones we use here in USA? Do the parking spaces have numbers that you give as a reference for when you go in to pay? I know that will be obvious when I'm actually there! And when you've prepaid (prior to leaving the lot) are you given some sort of receipt to either scan or into the machine or gate that lets you exit? Lisa, don't know how to completely answer your question about bikes but in looking at the brochures on the websites mentioned, there is a symbol for where the bikes are parked in the parking lot.

Posted by
7304 posts

Diane, although the two terms are not synonymous, (see Wikipedia) EMV and chip-and-pin are the same type of card, very hard to get from US banks. I don't have one. By "swipe"' I meant "horizontal slide", since chip and PIN are inserted endwise and aren't in motion during the transaction. Like in the US, you get a paper card when you press a button to raise the gate and enter the lot. The payment machine processes that card and returns it to you. Unlike the US, the exit gate box returns the cancelled card to you as the gate rises for your exit. Don't waste time trying to find a space closer to the pedestrian exit to the shuttles. At best, you will only save 10% of the walk to the shuttles.

Posted by
45 posts

Tim, thanks for the helpful info - - appreciate it all!

Posted by
7304 posts

Lisa, please look at the nouvelacqueil website and click the By Bike link there. There are bike stanchions at the CAR park. Read this quote: From 28 April 2012, bicycles will no longer be authorised to cycle on the dyke road. This means you CANNOT take your bike to the island.

Posted by
1336 posts

I was just there yesterday. The parking lot is QUITE a walk from where the buses actually take you to the mont. It's not a place for those who have trouble getting around on foot.

Posted by
60 posts

Thank you all for your input. The distance to the shuttle bus was a concern for me. I have difficulty walking and sometimes use a cane. I may need to rethink visiting Mont. St. Michel for this trip to France.