Please sign in to post.

Mont Saint Michel

I have a trip planned in February 2010 for Europe. I'm visiting Rome, Venice, and Paris. This will be my third time and Paris and I was thinking about heading out to Mont Saint Michel for a day trip. I have a few questions. First, how much does the typical train ride out that way cost? I've done some searches and found the train tickets to be $200+. Is it really that expensive? I'm assuming it's cheaper to buy the train tickets while in Paris? Also, is early February a good time to visit this landmark? I'm not sure how the tides run during that time. I'm already aware that it will be cold. Any other advice is greatly welcome. Thanks!

Posted by
2297 posts

The tides won't influence your visit to Mt St Michel. February would actually be a good time as it won't be quite as crowded with tourists than during the summer months.

It's not easy to get to the Mont with public transportation. It's been discussed here before, try a search.

Posted by
872 posts

Also, it will most likely not be possible to do it as a day trip (or it's not worth doing it as a day trip). Doing a search on it on this forum is a great idea as I do recall this discussion previously.

The only viable option in my opinion is driving there and staying overnight.

Posted by
784 posts

Having just visited Mont St. Michel from Paris, I thought I'd comment.

First, we drove and it was a 3 1/2 hour car ride. But it must be a long train ride as well; so I agree that it should not be done as a day trip.

R. Steves recommends going late, staying overnight, and leaving early to beat the traffic and crowds. Not sure if this is necessary in February. I was there in July and it was still crowded at 9:00pm when we arrived. I woke up at 7:00am and walked around while the place was deserted until almost 9:00am, at which time my husband and I got in line to visit the abbey which opened at 9:00am. The abbey was pretty remarkable. By 11:00am the place gets incredibly crowded with tourists (in July anyway).

We stayed on the island at Auberge St. Pierre, but I don't highly recommend it. The room was quite dingy.

I personally thought Mont St. Michel was incredibly interesting, and the most authentic feeling ancient landmark that we visited on our trip (that includes Carcassonne, Arles Roman Arena, Spain's Alhambra etc...). Not too diminish the other landmarks, it's just that the preservation efforts in some cases take away some of the ancient character of the sites. This place felt like the real deal to me.

FYI, we stayed at Auberge St. Pierre on the island (recommended by R. Steves) and I have to say the room was pretty crummy. So, personally, I don't recommend staying there.

Posted by
3551 posts

Take a day tour from Paris. Otherwise leave it for some other trip where you can spend more time in area.

Posted by
12040 posts

There are bus tours available from Paris, although they arrive at the time the Mont is most crowded... of course, it probably isn't that crowded in February.

Posted by
8 posts

I think February is a great time to go. Staying overnight is the best, but if you only have time for a day trip, I think a tour from Paris sounds good. Less stress than the train and you can talk to the driver/other passengers on the way there and back.

Posted by
43 posts

I hope this isn't off topic or too far off topic, but if anyone can give an impression of what MSM might be like in early October during the week, and would out better bet be to stay overnight or make it a day trip?

Thanks

Posted by
80 posts

the monastery closes around 4 pm i think. Although everything else was open

We got there just as the shut off the line.