Please sign in to post.

Monaco Grand Prix 2009

My husband and I will be in Monaco during the Grand Prix as part of a cruise we are taking through the French Riviera. Specifically, we will be in Monaco Friday 5/22, Sat 5/23 and Sun 5/24 until midnight. Neither of us have ever been to this region before, nor do we know anything about F1 racing (we are racing not fans at all). That said, we love a great event, regardless of the subject. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it for us to spend the money to purchase a viewing package for the race. I have already figured out that we would not enjoy grandstand seats (we are the kind of people who would like to watch in a relaxed setting but also have food and drink readily available). We just want a decent view of the race and food and drinks included. Might it be possible to not purchase a package in advance and simply find a nice place to watch the race day of, or is that pretty much impossible to do? Do we need to get a package not to feel totally left out of all the action on race day? Also, I am seeing a lot of nightlife packages for certain clubs. Do we need to by something like that to be able to get in someplace at night, or will we be able to play that by ear? I'll spend the money if we need to do enjoy ourselves but it is an awful lot to someone who is not familiar with this and I would hate to get there and feel I wasted it. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted by
16004 posts

YOu will be in Monaco the busiest weekend of the year. Many of the streets are shut, the hotels are full, and the restaurants packed.

That said, it is also one of the most exciting and definitely on my "bucket list."

You might want to check out the following sites for answers to your questions:

Visit Monaco--Grand Prix

Automobile Club of Monaco (The Organizers)

Posted by
1158 posts

The race will take place on the streets, so you should be able to see the cars once in a while right from the sidewalks.
If you don't know anything about Formula 1 racing then I would suggest you not to spend a lot of money.
It's very different than Nascar. You can take a look at those sites the other posted suggested.
I am 100% sure that those days everything in Monaco will be booked.

Posted by
9109 posts

It's my understanding that you can't just stand on the side of the streets in Monaco and watch the race like a parade. Every inch of curb space has seating and you must have a paid ticket to sit.

Posted by
172 posts

I am in my 60's and went to Monaco Grand Prix in 2005 (it was on my bucket list). Fantastic time! But you cannot see the race if you don't have a ticket, all streets are blocked off where you might have been able to get a glance. You even have to pay for a ticket if you want to sit on the hill between the port and the palace. Another note, the noise is unbelievable, even with ear plugs, but just adds to the whole experience. A girl in one of the shops said she could hear the time trials in Menton where she lives!!! I stayed in Villefranche, away from the general mayhem, you can barely move in the streets of Monaco. You could go to the palace and look down on the time trials a day or so before the race (we were able to do that), but it isn't the same as the race. My seat was in the stands right in line with Michael Schumacker's "garage", what an experience watching all the preps and listening to all the Italians sitting around me yelling and screaming every time one of their famous silver screen or singing sensations walked by. The rich and famous had to walk right by our stands to get to the VIP area. In other words, pay the price and experience the greatest race in the world! If the Cannes Film Fest is still on when you are there - another human circus (albeit beautiful human circus) you should see once in your life even if, like me, you aren't a fan of the big screen. Easy train ride from Monaco.