Please sign in to post.

Midnight in Paris?

Okay, I cheated just a little to get your attention but my question is topical. After a precious two days in Paris, we're scheduled to depart from DeGaulle on a 1030 a.m. flight. Considering the joy of spending another evening (perhaps midnight) in Paris vs. the convenience of waking up the morning of our departure at an airport motel _ avoding whatever rush hour they have _ which should we do?

Posted by
9420 posts

I would choose, and have always chosen in the past, to stay in Paris and take the RER to CDG which avoids getting caught in traffic.

Posted by
1315 posts

I agree with Susan. I'd stay in Paris and enjoy your last night in the city. You can sleep in when you get home.

Posted by
5513 posts

I'd stay in Paris. The only time I choose an airport hotel is when I have a ridiculously early (before 7am) flight.

Posted by
2712 posts

We've chosen to stay in Paris too. One more night in Paris is just too appealing to pass up. The only downside is you won't get as much sleep, but you'll be sitting on a plane for hours the next day, so who cares.

Posted by
263 posts

My concern is the 10:30 a.m. flight. You would probably want to be at the airport at about 8:30 for check in, security. Getting to the airport on the metro/RER might take maybe 40 min, depending on where you are in Paris. So you have to board a bus/train at about 7:15..... I too would like the extra night in Paris, but I get a little panicky about flying to start with and want my pre flight routine to be as easy as possible...so I would stay in a hotel at the airport. We did that last April and I do not regret giving up the night for piece of mind in the morning....but that's me. Try working backward and seeing how transportation and times work for you. Have a great time!

Posted by
11507 posts

With a 10:30 departure I would absolutely stay in Paris, I have been lucky in that I have always had flights leave after about 9 or ( Well I pick them that way) and I have never felt the need to stay at the airport. I think its normal to get up at 6 and on my way to the airport in the morning.

Posted by
719 posts

Absolutely stay in Paris. 10:30 isn't an early flight by any stretch. I've taken the train to the airport (no traffic) and als taken cabs (no traffic here, either. depends on the day, though) without any real trouble. If you go the cab route, ask your hotel what time that you need to leave to make it on time. Don't miss the last night in Paris!

Posted by
360 posts

Like Terry, I'd prefer a non-rushed morning for myself. What about checking into your airport hotel mid day. Then take the RER back into Paris & have your last evening. I'd then take a taxi back to the airport hotel & spend the night. Just another way to look at it.

Posted by
3 posts

I was traveling with a child and slow-moving husband last time we left Paris around 10 a.m. so we did stay at an airport hotel (Ibis, I think). For us, it was better than the early morning hustle of trains, etc. If I were traveling by myself or with faster-moving companions, I'd have stayed in Paris another night.

Posted by
2916 posts

Stay in Paris, preferably at a hotel near a RER stop, which will speed up things getting to the airport. Sleep on the plane.

Posted by
2184 posts

We did the hotel at the airport, RER into Paris for the evening and then back to the airport to sleep. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.