Please sign in to post.

Menorca

We are traveling to the island of Menorca in Sept. Wondering from those who have been there, what part of the island is best to stay? We plan on renting a car. We would like to stay close to some of the best beaches. Any thoughts?

Posted by
1 posts

HI Amy, Glad you are visiting Menorca. I´m an American living there for many years. We live in Ciutadella so we are biased. There are many good places to stay, and many very touristy places, which I would suggest to avoid. Ciutadella is like an open air musuem, filled with palaces and old world charm, many bars and restaurants. A stay there will give you the chance to enjoy Menorca in a more authentic atmosphere, as opposed to one of the dedicated tourist districts. I´d suggest to avoid, Calan Porter, Calan Blanes (though this often shows a ´ciutadella address) and two of the nicer ´urbanisations´ (tourist districts) are Son Xoriguer (south west corner of the island) and Cala Galdana (south, centrally located, nearest town, a very quiet and charming Ferreries. Both of these urbanization are very nice. You can choose hotels from the Menorcan Hotel Association here: http://menorca.islandadvisor.com/services/concierge/ and on this website under ´experiences´ you can find a lot of info and pictures on things to do and places to visit, it will give you a real flavor for the place. If you have any further questions just ask. Happy to help if we can. And by the way, end of September is a fabulous time to come to the island, the summer tourist crowds are gone, and we have the beaches all to ourselves again...For a location to be near the best of them, Cala Galdana, Ferreries, Ciutadella and Son Xoriguer are good choices. Best wishes
Elly May