Please sign in to post.

Matterhorn

I have been to Mont-Blanc, is it worth it to go to the Matterhorn as well?

Posted by
11507 posts

Not sure what you mean. Are you planning to summit the Matterhorn,, or, just hike up to the hut,, or do you mean visit the town of Zermatt and look at Matterhorn?

I visited the town,,stayed 3 days,, and did some hikes,, there are serveral from there, including the one to the hut at base of Matterhorn.. Very nice. The one to the hut was a bit more strenuous then some others that were basically mountain walks,, . The town is very touristy and crowded, but luckily is car free which is nice. Also, there is a train ( to Gornergrat I think it was called) that was very nice, takes you to a summit point where you can see into Italy and France all at same time.

It was expensive,, but aren't most cute Swiss mountain towns.. LOL
I stayed at Hotel Atlanta which I thought was very nice.

Posted by
16265 posts

The Matterhorn is a beautiful mountain, but quite shy. On any given day, you may see it--or it may be shrouded in clouds.

It is very, very different from Mont Blanc, in many ways. But both areas offer great hiking, and also some spectacular excursions for non-hikers.

AS for whether it is "worth it", that is totally up to you and what you seek in experiences.

Posted by
769 posts

If you like hiking then go - lots of great options to take trains and lifts up and hike down. The Matterhorn can be elusive even on otherwise clear days. Been many times and had both clouds and sunshine times. Old rule was on clear days go out before 10am when a small smurf-hat like cloud comes and sits on the top! Its a bit out of the way to get to for just passing by - but a great destination if you want to go up to beautiful outlooks and spend the night in a great small car-free village! Vs Chamonix - its similar but smaller scale - and they speak Swiss-German (local version of Vallaiser Dialect) vs French.

Posted by
2023 posts

We were in Zermatt in May--stayed one night at Hotel Daniela and had a good view of the Matterhorn from our balconey. We were coming up from Italy headed to Wengen for a six night stay and were a bit hesitant as to whether it would be worth the effort of going out of our way slightly to see the Matterhorn but we did not regret it--had great weather, much of Zermatt still closed so not many tourists, and were able to do the Gornergat cog train--no other options for getting closer up at that time. It is a one mountain town very unlike the Berner Oberland area but we just had to see the Matterhorn. It is impressive but probably best that we saw it before the Eiger and Jungfrau.