Please sign in to post.

malaga,spain

Is 1/2 day enough time to tour the city of malaga? we want to visit the antiqua casa de guardia to taste the sherry. Any other suggestions for the day? thanks,
janines

Posted by
678 posts

Hi Janine, I like Malaga and have been the several times. For me a 1/2 day would not be enough to see the city sites and walk around. I would visit the Alcazaba but I like castles and ruins. There is also a Roman ampitheatre. The views of the city and harbor from the top of the fortress are beautiful. It would take a couple of hours to see all of the fortress /castle. Also I like walking through the old historic city center. I know that there is a Picasso museum there if you are into that. I have not been to the antigua casa de guardia that you mentioned. Malaga is also very pretty all lit up at night.

Posted by
117 posts

Janine, Given your short time window in Malaga, I would suggest taking the hop-on hop-off tour. That way you can hop-off and explore further what appeals to you. I disagree with previous posters who have opined that Malaga has little to see. Also, you could visit the small museum at the apartment in Plaza Merced where Picasso was born. There are many free museums worth seeing, my fave was CAC: Centro de Arte Contemporaneo. Malaga also has a sweet dessert wine that is also worth a taste. On my last visit last September, I went to the new Carmen Thyssen Museum just off Calle Larios to see oils of life in 18th and 19th century Spain. I loved it. Enjoy your visit to a city that was also the birthplace of actor Antonio Banderas. In the basement of the Picasso Museum youl can explore excavations of the Phoenician era in Malaga.

Posted by
984 posts

You will not be drinking sherry in the Antigua Casa de Guardia - you will be drinking the strong wines of the Malaga region.

Posted by
26 posts

Hi, just back for Malaga and we always pop into this small bar/bodega and enjoy a drink or 2 with the locals .Malaga is a lovely city with a lot of culture . picasso museum etc. Muelle Uno is a quite new area close to the marina with some very nice shops and upmarket cafe/restaurants that opened the end of last year .Also close to antiqua casa de guardia is a cafe called La Canasta which we had coffee and cake at last weekend ...yummy.
Enjoy Malaga.