Please sign in to post.

Malaga,Spain

How do we get to the old city center from our celebrity cruise ship in Sept? Is Malaga easy to get around for an afternoon? Interested in Picassos house n Museum. Do we need tickets ahead of time?

Posted by
8293 posts

Debbie, the hop-on/hop-off buses will be right where your ship docks. It is a good way to see pretty Malaga and you can get off in the city centre. The cruise ship excursion people NEVER tell you about the HO/HO buses. They prefer to keep it a secret and have passengers buy ship tours and/or excursions. Try cruisecritic.com for information on any of the ports on your itinerary.

Posted by
8293 posts

P.S. The Picasso Museum is closed Mondays so check your itinerary. I wouldn't buy tickets ahead of time but if you want to you can do so on the Museums's website.

Posted by
984 posts

'How do we get to the old city center from our celebrity cruise ship in Sept?'- walk, it is perhaps two hundred metres from the port entrance, but I do not know where your ship docks and how much additional leg work or bother this might be. 'Is Malaga easy to get around for an afternoon?' - Yes, it is fairly compact. I do not recommend the hop on/hop off bus, as it does not travel pedestrian only and narrow streets, but it may help if you want the finest view from the Gibralfaro (but then again the local bus up would do it). Picasso's House and Museum - sorry no idea, it is years ago. I just went to the entrances and was in.

Posted by
117 posts

Debbie, Admission to Picasso's house on Plaza de la Merced is free to seniors including those from the U.S. and seldom has lines. The house is 200 meters away from the Picasso Museum. The Museum admission is 9 Euros and half price for seniors. Booking ahead is not necessary. If you have the time, be sure to go to the basement of the museum where Phoenician ruins can be viewed.