Please sign in to post.

Madrid to Lisbon

How can I get from Madrid to Lisbon (and back)? It looks as if train travel is very long, unless we go overnight. Would it be better to fly and if so, what Airline and how much? Thanks. Jim

Posted by
4555 posts

Yeah, it always surprises me that train travel between those two cities is so poor....and so expensive if you do choose the overnight train. They are planning a high speed line between the two, but that's still in the future.
Discount airlines easyjet and Vueling fly that route. Compare the two for fares and, especially, baggage limits...and be careful of their check-in times and restrictions. Book as soon as you decide, since fares will rise as tickets sell...and be prepared for higher fares if you are flying on weekends or during festivals/big holidays, etc. If it's a tossup, I prefer Vueling.

Posted by
355 posts

I took the overnight train from Madrid to Lisbon and booked a sleeper car. It was several years ago, so I don't remember the cost. But I do remember that when we considered the cost of a hotel room added to the cost of transportation, with the added convenience of going to sleep in one city and waking up in the next, it didn't seem so bad. The sleeper accomodations were quite nice. All-in-all, a nice experience and I would definitely do it again.

Good luck and have a great time.