Please sign in to post.

Madrid, Seville, Cordoba and Granada

I would again like to thank everyone who offered advise with my trip to Spain in September.
Question: Does anyone how long it takes on the Ave from Seville to Cordoba or Seville to Granada or Granada to Cordoba?
Does the AVE rtn direct from Granada to Madrid?
I have a hotel in Seville. I want to carefully plan my time.

Posted by
67 posts

The AVE from Seville to Cordoba is about 40 minutes. We did not go via AVE on the other runs so I cannot give you any further informaion.

Posted by
4555 posts

The only AVE high speed train on your list is Sevilla to Cordoba and, as David noted, it's about 45 minutes. Sevilla to Granada takes about 3 hours by bus or train, but there are only four trains per day, so bus is more convenient, schedulewise, while Granada to Cordoba is about 2 1/2 hours. The train trip from Granada to Madrid is about 4:45, but there are only 2/day and they're expensive. Buses run far more frequently, and take about 5:15.

Posted by
23297 posts

You really need to look at a map and get an understanding of the where everything is. Madrid, Cordoba, & Seville are in straight line and easily served by the high speed line. Granada sits south of Cordoba kind of off by itself and east some distance from Seville. Granada is only serviced by regional rail. To get from Granada to Madrid you would have to change trains in Cordoba -- I think. I am going this from memory but will check it later and the use the edit button if necessary.

Posted by
4555 posts

Frank's correct...the two trains/day from Granada to Madrid go thru Cordoba. You could take the 945 train from Granada, arrive in Cordoba shortly after noon, spend a few hours there, then take a late AVE into Madrid.

Posted by
20 posts

In Rick's Spain book there is a fold out map showing the train lines from Madrid and all over the country. Also if you go to Rail Europe's website you can plan your trip and buy the tickets on line. You will have a seat reservation so all you need to do is show up at the stations. We plan to go to Granada from Madrid and spend a few days, then Granada to Sevilla, spend a few more days, then on the way back from Granada take the AVE getting off at Cordoba for the day, then back to Madrid. A day later we will take a day trip from Madrid to Toledo on the train.

Posted by
4555 posts

One note...you'll pay far more than necessary with RailEurope. You can book discount tickets up to 62 1/2 days in advance on many routes at www.renfe.es , the Spanish national rail system.